Wearing red today...spare a thought.

Rob Keeble

Well I let the anniversary of DDay pass without posting.
But today I want to ask that you spare a thought for three heros in our Royal Canadian Mounted Police who last week were killed in the line of service.
While you at it for the servicemen and woman killed in friendly fire incident in Afghanistan. Bad enough being killed in battle never mind by your own side. I thought we had solved this problem with technology. ?

I hold the mounties and what they stand for in the highest regard, they have been a symbol and beacon for me for long before i came to Canada.
These guys all had families and little kids, and were trained professonals in more than just policing.They paid the ultimate price in service of their community.

I am having a hardtime accepting that the culprit is going to get looked after for the rest of his days and that society will spend money on a trial to see he gets a fair shake.
So given we all have had guys killed in service this past few days spare a thought today for these people they pay a heavy price doing their job.

Special thanks to all who serve.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

For fear of this becoming political, I will keep most of my thoughts to myself (please understand this is a DIFFICULT job to do!!!). But, mental health needs to be addressed. In the '70's we remodeled our mental health facilities into prisons, released the patients and about 50% became prisoners soon. Others were homeless or lost. We are paying the penalties for this decision to this day. When it is cut and dried, regardless their reasons, but cut and dried that they committed these acts of war on our people, the penalty (not plural) should be cut and dried. As the old adage of Monopoly, "do not pass go, do not collect $200.00, but go straight to __________________________".

Careful, folks. A very complicated, complex and a hot topic. Let it be said there are no simple solutions. I would support Rob's intent that those who serve be honored, especially those who gave all.

Expressing opinions regarding reactions to these tragedies does not serve to honor.

'Nuff said.

Rob, I lost my younger brother16 years ago in a line of duty incident, I know first hand what their families are dealing with, It never goes away, but it is easier to deal with as time passes. It's a tough and dangerous job, thankfully their are men and women that are up to the challenge, and serve so we can have the life that we have.

sorry for there loss and thanks for there service! today i met a young man that shot by a swat team person at a college incident and he was a innocent bystander.. and he was lucky to be there tell us the story.. so its not just military it can happen anywhere.

I watched the movie Maleficent - Awesome movie.

At one point in the movie Maleficent said to Sleeping Beauty - "there are evils in the world"

I agree.

Then, there are also those in the world that help to protect us from those evils.

I have great regard for those good forces in the world that protect us from the evils that are out there.

Each time I think of those young Mounties, I am close to tears. A niece of a friend is an RCMP officer in the Maritimes near where this incident occurred.

One of the bad things to come out of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms has been that it is very difficult nowadays to confine someone to a mental health facility if s/he doesn't want to be there. Of course, a criminal who is deemed to be 'insane' can be held in a mental facility "at Her Majesty's pleasure," which means we don't ever have to let them out. Eventually, we usually do.

We no longer execute criminals in Canada, and I think this is a good thing. As for the rights of the guilty, if we cannot uphold their rights, we cannot uphold the rights of the innocent, either, as the same rights apply to both.

I have removed the last sentence of this post in accordance with the wishes of themoderators.

Last edited:
Each time I think of those young Mounties, I am close to tears. A niece of a friend is an RCMP officer in the Maritimes near where this incident occurred.

One of the bad things to come out of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms has been that it is very difficult nowadays to confine someone to a mental health facility if s/he doesn't want to be there. Of course, a criminal who is deemed to be 'insane' can be held in a mental facility "at Her Majesty's pleasure," which means we don't ever have to let them out. Eventually, we usually do.

We no longer execute criminals in Canada, and I think this is a good thing. As for the rights of the guilty, if we cannot uphold their rights, we cannot uphold the rights of the innocent, either, as the same rights apply to both.

Well said, Roger, and I certainly share your emotions.

We live in a generally safe "bubble" in this part of the world, so it's especially shocking when an incident like this reminds us there are some monsters here too. Connections are often very close too. The young widow of Cst. Ross is from a family we know very well.

I watched some of the regimental funeral ceremony today. There were literally thousands of Mounties in their red serge, an incredible show of respect and sympathy for their fellow members and their families.

I am probably not the only one here who remembers the days before theire were Homeless crazy people wandering around.

There were Hobos, Winos, and Bums, but they were not so unpredictable.

When they closed the Nut houses the poor mentlly ill souls had no where to go, and probably just get worse.

Also, I think that the illegal street drugs of today can perminantly alter certain people and make them mentally disabled.

Because no matter how wacked out they are, they are mentally disabled and there should be some way to care for them

besides letting them wander the streets until their internal alrm clock rings and they go off and harm someone or themselves.