My Old Shop

Ned Bulken

I'm in the midst of preparations for my new shop to be built over the next couple of months. I had the Incredible good fortune to have a mentor when I first started out woodworking. My buddy John Shaffner and I moved from our carriage house shop space to this: it was 25' wide by 36' deep. there were two small rooms on the end near the shared space hallway (business incubator, we had one 'bay') with a loft above them. The ceiling was a cavernous 16' at the loft end, and was still a generous 12' at the outer wall.

fromthedoor.jpg

early view across the shop from the outer door.

looking down from the loft towards my corner of the shop.
lookingdown.jpg

shorts storage under the stairs
newshortsstorage.jpg

looking towards the door. there you see John's 10" CMS and the CD player and radio (and the LOML). The Planer was on loan until I scraped together enough cash to buy my DW734. Some days I wished I'd picked up a 733 instead.

lomlandtheplaner.jpg

Here was our long storage wood rack, built by a group of WWA members one Saturday afternoon. It was up in the loft section.
newwoodrack.jpg

There's My messy corner of the shop
mycurrentmess.jpg

Here's a shot from that WWA cookout we hosted, burgers and hot sausage patties on the grill. plus a bunch of good tall tales.
you can see the HUGE central outfeed/work table which I'm going to sorely miss. it was 4'x6' and sat in the center of the shop.

eswwapiximag0001.jpg

that's me in the center. the gent on my left is Ttalma and on my right is Joe. Behind me you can see John's monster clamp rack, which was a staple in the shop.

here is John's corner of the shop, with his workbench.
1A.jpg

and from the loft, working on setting up the planer

9A.jpg

that shows the space which I'm sorely missing these days. A lot of good times were had in there, and I learned a LOT. Thanks John!

Last edited: