Thread: Turning stuff wit' holes in it.

Turning stuff wit' holes in it.

When turning things like candlesticks, salt and pepper shakers, even pepper mills, is it better to drill the hole for the socket, salt and pepper vials, grinder mechanism etc., first, and then use a cone centre or jam chuck to hold the piece with the hole centred, than to drill the hole last? I ask because last year I made many candlesticks for practice, and not a single one had the socket perfectly centred.

Anyway, I'm about to start wasting perfectly good turning wood unless I can get those holes in the right place.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Roger, I had a chuck that fit in my tail stock so I would drill the whole after while the piece was chucked up but if you don't have a chuck and are turning between center I guess drilling first would work.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

For my salt and pepper grinders I drill the hole first. Then I have a chuck that tightens in the hole and the other end centers on the drive. This insures your hole and sides of the grinder are parallel to each other (on the same plane). Otherwise a crooked drill and all that work wasted.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Thanks! Jonathan, I going to get a chuck from Penn State in a week or tow when I go to visit my brother. It's the same one I had before, but I had to sell with my lathe. It has the inside jaws as well as the outside ones. I have a drill chuck for the tailstock, and I was using it along with a chuck in the headstock to turn the hole. I'll have to try drilling the hole first. It makes some sense to me.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Turning stuff wit' holes in it.

Add another vote for drilling the hole first.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Roger,
    I'm adding my vote for drilling first, then turning the body concentric around the hole. I don't do candlesticks, but do lots of pepper mills... always drill first then use a set of jam chucks I've made to hold while I turn the body and top.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

My barracuda chuck has a set of spigot jaws that fit in the 1 1/6" bore on mills perfectly. Holes first!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots