Easier than I thought!

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Right tool for the right job eh?

Piece of cake to get the new swamp cooler up on the roof and into position.

Now all I have to do is figure out the funky old wiring...

reduced_20140613_144751.jpgreduced_20140613_144952.jpgreduced_20140613_145034.jpgreduced_20140613_145244.jpgreduced_20140613_152525.jpg

Not all the parts are in the picture there. It has a water resevoir and pumps water over absorbent pads. The blower draws hot dry air through the pads and the water evaporates and instantly cools down, then goes into the house.

It uses about 25% of the electricity than AC, so if the climate allows it to work, it does a great job at a pretty big cost savings.

Around here we only need it for a couple of months, and a good portion of that is only for the hottest part of the day as it cools down nicely at night.

Hey Brent, in the past few years Las Vegas has really had an upswing in crime, since about 2009.

Have you noticed that in Reno at all, or is it still pretty much (Reno 911) a small town atmosphere?

I haven't heard much about any upticks in crime in Reno. I know in our valley, things are still what I would consider pretty safe.

People keep an eye on things, and since response times to our area is not what you would call quick, there's a pretty serious attitude about being prepared among pretty much all of my neighbors.

Welp, Seemed to have hit a snag.

When I was getting ready to wire it up last night, I got a shock from a wire and thought to my self, "Self, None of this looks right. There were too many different colored wires connected up to a bare ground wire".

So, This morning I've been taking a more analytical approach and I'v found some interesting anomalies.

There was an unused active wire (white?) up on the roof. It triggers my little sensor thing. I thought only the hot wire would do that? Anywho, Put Sharon up on the roof so I could find what breaker it's on. Got it and labeled it.
Anyhow, they were not using that wire up on the roof, but at least I found out what breaker it was on.

Pulled off the control panel in the house. Found out they were using the black wire as a hot and the bare ground as a neutral.
Worse was they had all the ground wires AND neutral wires in the cooler on the roof connected to the same connection.

So, This is a bigger mess than I want to deal with.

Add to the fact the outside breaker box is a horrible mess of wires, and has double breakers placed on everycircuit, I'm afraid it's time to call in the big guns and get a real electrician out to rewire the outside panel and fix a few other issues.

Fun stuff.

20140613_135651.jpg20140614_085956.jpg

Good call on getting a Sparky out to fix things. I just looked up the term "dog's breakfast" in the dictionary, and they showed this pic:

attachment.php