Creating and cutting with a template

Hello all.

Maybe a stupid question but I must ask anyway.

I just picked up a dewalt jigsaw to make some of my smaller cuts and wanted to play and practice little.

Now to the question.

What is the best way to create a template to lay on the wood? What material?

At this point, it can be anything, a heart, a letter, etc.

At first, I was thinking about printing something and laying it on top of the wood but I know the paper wouldn't stay. Maybe on a cardstock paper?

Thanks in advance.

Couple of things come to mind. Double stick tape, spray adhesive, iron on laser printed pattern. How many pieces at one time did you want to cut? Many variables here. Tell us more.

Ditto what Roger said. I've made templates by printing - sometimes several sheets - taping them together, then spraying adhesive to the back and applying to the wood. I use this method for both bandsaw and jigsaw cuts.

Is the template for tracing around so that you can then follow a pencil line? Card stock should be fine. Is it a picture that you want to follow similar to how many folks do on a scrollsaw? I print things on my computer printer using regular paper, use a spray adhesive and stick the picture to the material. A heat gun makes removing the remaining paper easy. Is it a template to be used over an over again for years? 1/4" MDF works well for this. As stated, better info yields better answers :). Let's talk some more.

I wonder if the temporary glue that is used by artists for positioning art or text on a board for photographing would do? Back in the olden days (you know, before the earth was formed) I used it quite a bit. It comes in stick form. I used Jiffy Adhesive Stick.

This advise is probably worth every cent you spent for it.

Enjoy,
JimB

I've used 3M 45 spray glue for tacking down patterns (don't remember why I got the can originally, but its been used a bunch for this!). If you just spray the paper with it and let it partially dry before sticking it will even mostly peal off. For a more permanent stick spray both sides and let mostly dry then stick.

Or traditional would be to tack the pattern down on something sacreficial and run a marking wheel over it (the kind with the little pokey things on the wheel) and then put it over your piece of wood and tap chalk (colored or not depending on the wood) to mark through the holes thus made. Not as good for really highly detailed work.

Paper to wood, I use 3M 77 spray adhesive. Spray the paper,not the wood. When I want it off I wipe over the paper until it is soaked with mineral spirits. Comes right off. Then wipe the residue off the wood with MS also. I wonder what the different is between 3M 45 and 3M 77. Guess I will have to look it up.

Last edited:
I wonder what the different is between 3M 45 and 3M 77. Guess I will have to look it up.

45:
  • cheaper (and that's likely why I have a can :D)
  • doesn't stick as well (you can peal it off some)
  • longer open time (can be nice or annoying depending)
  • 3M appears to disclaim its existence on their web site
  • Appears to be more for "crafts" (aka sticking pictures on paper) and less for "construction"

I think if you had one can the 77 is probably more general puprose.

Thanks for the answers guys.

For right now, I am just looking to do one-shot items. I suppose if I were to do repeat pieces, I could do the template in MDF or 1/4 ply.

Well, I couldn't wait to play with my new toy so as soon as I got home I started thinking about what I wanted to do.

At first, I had no idea what to cut. I didn't want something too difficult but I didn't want something too simple either. I also didn't want something that would just go in the garbage after it was complete (if it came out well, that is). So after thinking about it, I decided to make something for the wife.

What does the wife like??? Cows.

So I searched online for a cow outline and found one that didn't look bad. I printed it and taped it on some scrap 3/4 ply I had laying around.
20140620_163136.jpg

I know, not the best way to attach but I couldn't wait. I was like a kid on Christmas.

I set up the sawhorses and got to work. I wanted to finish before the wife came home so I could surprise her if it was a success or trash it if not.

After cutting, a little trial and error, and the learning curve I was complete.

I sanded it and it looked like this.
20140620_180409.jpg

I thought I was going to break off the tail when I was cutting it. :doh:

A little more sanding and I decided to put a stain on it.

Here is what it currently looks like.
20140620_183240.jpg

Not the best thing ever but I think it's pretty good for my first time.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I will use your suggestions for future pieces.