Pottery Barn Dog Bed

Mike Heidrick

A friend of mine is a huge Pottery Barn Furniture fan. She has a bed called the Sumatra.

img14l.jpg

Tonight her husband and I tried to copy the design for a Dog bed for her two "boys". Her weimaraner dogs are her kids.

Here was the result. The bed is "distressed". We used recovered barn wood and found some natural distress marks from bugs and time. We used Kreg jigs for the assembly. We based the size off the bed off the dog bed foam pads they buy from tractor supply.

When we gave it to my friend's wife she started to cry. She really loved it. Dogs love it too.

IMG_3626.jpg

IMG_3628.jpg

IMG_3629.jpg

IMG_3638.jpg

IMG_3639.jpg

IMG_3636.jpg

Very cool, Mike. Will the two dogs sleep together on it?

We've got two separate dog beds for our pair, because the smaller one (the female...a real biatch in all senses of the term) is pretty territorial. Wherever she is, she doesn't want the other one. Even if she happens to be in his bed. :rolleyes:

Mike,

Great job on scaling down the full size design! :thumb:

Questing for you: is there any thing supporting the ply wood (that the cusion sits on) besides the dados in the side rails? A pict of the bottom would be cool, if there is some additional supports that we can't see from your pictures.

Mike,

Great job on scaling down the full size design! :thumb:

Questing for you: is there any thing supporting the ply wood (that the cusion sits on) besides the dados in the side rails? A pict of the bottom would be cool, if there is some additional supports that we can't see from your pictures.

Thankyou everybody.

We attached (screwed) 12" cleats to all four sides. The Plywood is resting on these cleats. I did not dado it into the frame. It is just recessed in.

Dogs sleep together at night - many times under a comforter. Also during the day the puppy (dark colored) Viper has to stay in his kennel so he does not tear up the house and Prowler stays with him in the same room and sleeps on the bed by himself much of the day. These dogs sleep alot.

My friend cried when we gave it to her. It was the most awesome thankyou any of my woodworking has received.