did you guys forget its friday?

allen levine

its like no sunshine when someone doesn't start the Friday thread.

just a quick peek at an outdoor art show tomorrow morning, that's about it, perhaps start the cabinets by breaking down the sheets to more manageable pieces.

Yup!
Getting older way too fast!
House is currently being "repaired" & painted. Amazing the amount of wood wrought by Mother Nature!

"Ain't no sunshine when you are away".

Sitting at the Oakland airport waiting for my flights home for the weekend. Been 3 weeks.

I know I know, that is not how the actual lyrics go, but it fits my situation.

Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
It's not warm when she's away.
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
And she's always gone too long
Anytime she goes away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's a music weekend for me. :guitar:

Playing a gig tonight at a local tavern. Looking forward to it, as there will be a few out of town guests in the audience, including my first wife (still a great friend). She was around back in the days when I was making my sole living with a guitar, but she's not heard me play on stage in over 30 years.

Saturday afternoon is a going away party for a good friend and bass player who's moving to Las Vegas. It will be a jam session party with a lot of musicians playing. Looks like our band will be the core group, with others sitting in with us. Saturday night I'm not playing, but I'll be attending a show played by some friends in a band I'm hoping to join as a second musical project.

Sunday will hopefully be a "catch up on sleep" day. :rolleyes:

Got another set of grands visiting. Ten pound pork butt in the smoker tomorrow. Been raining so there are plenty of weeds to pull in the garden, but this is gonna be one of the best garden seasons yet...knock on wood.
garden_20jun14 012.jpggarden_20jun14 002.jpg

its beautiful out here on east coast ny area today, mid to upper 70s, low humidity, and besides getting all the ply into my shed and garage, Ive lost all my motivation to start sheet work. Any flat work right now.
Its like I lost my woodworking mojo....not good, sitting in my house on computer at noon time, thinking about where Im going to eat lunch.
I should probably skip lunch, dinner also for the next 4 years.
If I had half the motivation I do for looking for someplace to eat lunch or dinner, Id be a woodworking machine again.
eh.

Still dealing with back pain. Got my back brace yesterday. Helps. Still some swelling. Really did a number on the back! Got some Thermaflex from the feed store. Strong menthol smell but that is not bad.

But, the back is easing up. Hopefully soon an adjustment will hold. Finally figured out what I did. Turned and banged my hip into a table. Wrenched my back slightly sidewise. Then I picked up a 25 pound 4x4. Picked it up correctly but my back was slightly out and that provided the slide into disaster. Have to watch the banging around. Body is too fragile.

Today got caught up on the dishes, picking up around here, and headed to do laundry. Doesn't sound like much, unless every breath you take hurts. Tomorrow is our woodturners' meeting and another trip to the chiropractor. Sunday is more recovery. Haircut scheduled for Monday. Maybe soon I will feel human again.

Sorry your back is still hurting Carol, sure hope it stops soon.

i plan on finishing up a couple table tops for my brothers pontoon boat this weekend so I can begin a dresser project with a twist (new thread on it soon:)) for the misses. Just finished the drawings and measurement sheet, need to pick up some ply for internal parts and fortunately already have the walnut for the outer pieces parts:)

Well, not my kind of weekend, two weddings to go to! BaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaH!

All Carol's back problems must be contagious. Had a real sore back the bast 3 days. Nothing serious, just too much bending over pulling weeds. A day or two in the shop would fix it right up. Funny how it hurts when I pull weeds, but not when I am in my shop. :) Carol, hope yours get better soon. You have been suffering way too long.

Last edited:
Allen I noticed it this morning but was dealing with time. It's all good. You were able to get-er-done, Thanks.
Great weather here. A few of my buddys and I waited for the last ban of rain to pass through yesterday evening and with that cool temps and headed out for an evening ride and dinner. This morning I just got back from the Watergate down town. A friend road down with me on our bikes to deliver a sample for the elevator cabs Jarrod will be redoing. Tomorrow heading to the farm in Va . to meet up with Grov and his friend and taking in a Rev. War reenactment. Should be a nice 2 hour ride down early morning. Sunday Wife's side family yearly family reunion in Gettysburg. . Jam packed no painting :(

One good thing. I have had a bad creak in the neck , left side , Jarrod came up behind me and started massaging my shoulders . He had no clue about the pain I was having and his index finger hit the knot and I went through the roof. So he kept at it and I am feeling good now.

Last edited:
Another weekend of car work for me.:( Boy could i kick myself for ever having got myself into this. Its fun and but also not. We are approaching the corner to the finish line though. Seems like woodworking is a distant memory lately.
I go with the song that goes " You cant always get what you want......but if you try sometimes you get what you need.:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG5GOH2CO1k

Ted you starting a market garden, looks as though you set to supply more than just yourself. :eek:

carol, once it starts to feel better, the dumbest thing on earth you can do is start your normal activity.
a little movement, stretching, but getting back into lifting and woodworking should wait at least another 2-3 weeks minimum.
Youre brain may forget, the back will never forget.
take it easy, real easy.

this is gonna be one of the best garden seasons yet...knock on wood.
View attachment 83436View attachment 83437

Thats one of the prettiest gardens I've seen in a long time!

Found a pickup load of big chunks of sweet gum so I'm going to go pick those up tomorrow. Never turned sweet gum before but I understand its really wet so might pickup some shower curtains to hang around the lathe (which I've been meaning to do since forever anyway).

Supposed to make a jewelry box apparently for and event in August, so I should get cracking on that.

Also have a new grainmill project ("new" - A buddy of mine turned the rollers about 12 years ago but they've been sitting in his shop since then and I just recently managed to haul them back) so if I get tired of the other stuff I might poke at that for a while. It needs some non trivial (given my tooling) modifications so I need to think about this some.

The wife is on her way back from Chicago right now...won't be home until after dinner though so just watching a movie with the girl until she gets home. Tomorrow it's supposed to rain so maybe some shop time, but more likely cleaning the spare bedroom to get ready for the girl to move into it from her smaller room. Sunday will be outside work...unless it rains again. Never thought I'd say it, but we have to much rain.

You are oh so right, Allen. However the underwear drawer was empty so laundry had reached the critical point. I have no one to give it off to so I have to suck it up. Living in a motorhome doesn't leave much room for a mess, so have to stay on top of the housekeeping. Besides, the pain is depressing enough without my living space a total disaster adding to my malaise.

The laundry is done and so am I. It will stay in the car until this evening. Hope to have recovered some oomph by then. I started a James Patterson novel while the clothes were washing so I am good for the day.

Finishing the PID controller for my smoker today.

Saturday: Time for a big smoke. Beef brisket, beef ribs, pork spare ribs - maybe even a meat loaf on the smoker.

Sunday: Rest, for the most part. I'll prepare brunch, then settle in for NASCAR.

Gee big (gigantic I should say) garden, lyrics rewritten (Big improvement over the original), etc. by other members and all I can say is I'm having a normal home owner's time.

Dead car battery last night. I didn't learn until bedtime. The car alarm was going (That's California). I cannot hear the thing, but once I was outside it really hurt my ears. So I had to put on the battery charger. I don't know what the deal was---The alarm would go for a few minutes then quit because it used up the battery juice. After while, after the battery recuperated enough, the alarm would start all over. I have no idea what/who started it (That's California). Anyway the battery was so low the electric locks on the car could not operate. It is all OK today.

Refrigerator repair man came today. My freezer was freezing (way too well to -18*) and the top was just under +80. (I assume you figured out I have a bottom freezer). House cleaning crew comes on Friday. My stereo phones died. (Thank goodness it turned out to be a battery.)Those and a couple other joyous things have kept me out of the shop so far today (Now 1:44 pm).

Happy Home Owners day to me, Happy Home Owners day to me, Happy Home Owner's Day to me, dear Jim.

Maybe I will just join the French Foreign Legion so I can relax.

Enjoy,
JimB