Disappointing Delivery

Dan Gonzales

I carry an old unknown Chinese/Taiwanese 8" 4-in-hand rasp and file in my tool bag. I never thought much about it until now that it's lost its bite. I ordered what I thought would be a spiffy replacement. A genuine 10" Nicholson product.

Here's the image from the order page.

ordered_.jpg

Here's what came in the mail. A made in Colombia unfinished, poorly made waste of manufacturing. The file patterns didn't make it to the ends or sides, the stock was poorly shaped and pure disappointment. My old one is next to it for comparison. I realized when taking the photos that the old one was actually hand stitched.

file2_.jpg file3_.jpg file1_.jpg

To the vendor's credit they refunded my purchase. I had asked them to just ship me another one after getting an eyeball on it, but they said they couldn't because the product was drop shipped from their supplier. I think I'll try to find another Chinese made rasp, the European ones are to spendy for what I need.

Cheers,

+1 to Bogs, they're highly recommended by a lot of folks I'd trust. I haven't personally sent anything to them but have been setting aside a small pile of old but salvageable files from yard/estate sales so they'll get a bunch here eventually. You aren't likely to get a 4 in 1 thats close to your old one unless its new-old-stock, you're just really lucky or you pay a whole lot more than the nicholson cost so resharpening is probably the best way to go.

Side note: I haven't heard anything good about nicholson for the last few years, they've really been burying what was a really good name in mud!

I'm going to be stalking ebay for a 10"/250mm 4-in-1 since I really want a larger one. If it needs sharpening I'll send it off to Boggs. It looks like the JK files are a good option if I can find a dealer, I'll call them up to see.