Pontoon boat table tops finish question

Tom Niemi

Staff member
I just made these table tops for my brothers pontoon boat (thanks again Larry for the wide belt service:)) they are made from white oak, what would be a good finish for them?

image.jpgimage.jpg

Not just any spar varnish - EPIFANE! Accept no substitutes. Epifane will last at least twice as long as the lesser brands. I get mine from Jamestown Distributors, but if you have a local chandlery (boat shop), they may have it.

Thanks fellas:) Jim, my brother has rebuilt 2 ski boats from the ground up and uses Jamestown exclusively for fiberglass, so he is familiar with them and per your STRONG suggestion ordered it from them today:) He says thanks all:thumb:

Thanks fellas:) Jim, my brother has rebuilt 2 ski boats from the ground up and uses Jamestown exclusively for fiberglass, so he is familiar with them and per your STRONG suggestion ordered it from them today:) He says thanks all:thumb:

Great! Make sure to follow the Epifane 'application suggestions' - first coat thinned 50/50, second coat thinned 75/25, and third coat full strength.

I have an outdoor table next to my grill that has seen NE Ohio weather 24/7 for the past two plus years, and it's still good. Prior to that, Minwax spar urethane needed replaced in less than six months. Epifane is definitely superior.

Good news to here Jim, my brother is a strong advocate of minwax and was heading that way, but asked my option and I said let me ask my forum.....you all came through and I am sure he will be pleased with the final decision, thanks again as I love this forum for all it gives:)