Axe reinvented? Not really

For $200 I could almost buy a cord of wood delivered................. well at least half a cord. That tire is a good idea! Good way to bundle & tie firewood for sale too.

You're probably right, Frank, but I'm stealing that tire idea.

I saw Heikki's tire idea before, I think. What do you suppose it rotates on, that wouldn't get all beat to pieces? Maybe just a couple of discs of sheet plastic or uhmw material. I'm a bit fixated on firewood, due to my normal year's supply on hand having been burned up and my supplier's inability to get it done last spring !!! I love fooling with firewood in the hottest days of summer.

I saw Heikki's tire idea before, I think. What do you suppose it rotates on, that wouldn't get all beat to pieces? Maybe just a couple of discs of sheet plastic or uhmw material. I'm a bit fixated on firewood, due to my normal year's supply on hand having been burned up and my supplier's inability to get it done last spring !!! I love fooling with firewood in the hottest days of summer.

Peter, Take another look...it's not rotating. He is just stepping around the tire, which is sitting on a chopping block (stump).

Peter, Take another look...it's not rotating. He is just stepping around the tire, which is sitting on a chopping block (stump).

No, if you look in his "other videos" tab on his website Ted, you'll see a clever, rotating "chopper block", which I remember seeing on YouTube a couple of years back. It would save a lot of bending over.

Just a bit of information. Anybody needing a heavy duty turntable might want to scout around for old AMC (American Motors) cars in a scrap or salvage yard. The spindle bolts onto the spindle arm so if you can buy spindle to rim or tire your turntable will bolt anywhere horizontal or vertical with four bolts. Some spindles have two bolts higher than the other two so you will need to do a little shimming, maybe stick a nut under a washer as a spacer, been years since I have looked at these. Products from the seventies and eighties worked, maybe earlier or later but I don't remember. I sold every pair of spindles to tires assemblies I got to the Rapides Parish Coliseum. They had been buying other spindles and paying for a lot of machine work to get them to fit on huge carts. They used the carts to change the coliseum from maybe truck pull to a concert a few days later to wrestling, on and on.

Four of them make a highway legal trailer strong enough to haul a lot of wood or a vehicle on. Minor detail of a direct bolt up with no springs so the ride was a little bumpy and you felt every bump through the trailer hitch. Also perfect for making the log skidding dollies, don't remember what they are called. When I think of all the things these spindles will do I realize it is time to start looking for old AMC's.

hu

No, if you look in his "other videos" tab on his website Ted, you'll see a clever, rotating "chopper block", which I remember seeing on YouTube a couple of years back. It would save a lot of bending over.
I missed that one, Peter. That's very cool and clever. Rope and pulley and gravity, but you still have to bend over to lift the log into the tire...or is that what grand kids are for? :)

Just a bit of information. Anybody needing a heavy duty turntable might want to scout around for old AMC (American Motors) cars in a scrap or salvage yard. The spindle bolts onto the spindle arm so if you can buy spindle to rim or tire your turntable will bolt anywhere horizontal or vertical with four bolts. Some spindles have two bolts higher than the other two so you will need to do a little shimming, maybe stick a nut under a washer as a spacer, been years since I have looked at these. Products from the seventies and eighties worked, maybe earlier or later but I don't remember. I sold every pair of spindles to tires assemblies I got to the Rapides Parish Coliseum. They had been buying other spindles and paying for a lot of machine work to get them to fit on huge carts. They used the carts to change the coliseum from maybe truck pull to a concert a few days later to wrestling, on and on.

Four of them make a highway legal trailer strong enough to haul a lot of wood or a vehicle on. Minor detail of a direct bolt up with no springs so the ride was a little bumpy and you felt every bump through the trailer hitch. Also perfect for making the log skidding dollies, don't remember what they are called. When I think of all the things these spindles will do I realize it is time to start looking for old AMC's.

hu
Hu, you are a veritable fountain of knowledge! Now I'm gonna have to cruise my local junk yard for an old AMC. You think there are any still around??