How to make a grown man CRY and say ALOT of bad words

Well I went to HF and got me some cheap aluminum yardsticks to make some Fret templates and a 1/16" blade from the Griz. Got to work and boy they sure worked great. :thumb:

100_2256.jpg100_2255.jpg

So got busy cutting fret slots and boy it was SWEET done in about an hour and a half with this pile of 84 compared to 2 days doing by hand. OH SO HAPPY RIGHT:yes::woot::bliss:
100_2254.jpg

WRONG ........:doh::bang::bang::mad::mad::pullhair::tantrum::tantrum::gonnagetit:
The red mark is where the fret slot is supposed to be cut.:doh:

100_2252.jpg

So anybody have any ideas for a design change or enhancement :D I only have 84 to do.................:dunno::bang::bang::bang::bang:

More pointless questions of curiousity than an useful suggestions.

I guess the main question is why your alignment was off? "Just" layout error or something else?

Not sure how you're ?clamping? the yardstick to the neck? I could see that allowing creep if not setup right or you let it slide a smidge, I might consider adding a bump stop to the yardstick somehow or something like that to get a positive feel.

It seems that narrower slots or maybe a pin on the sled to match the slots would allow more precise alignment - not sure if thats needed.

Can you salvage the necks by planing then thinner and recutting?

Other than the obvious issue it looks like a bang up idea, nice and simple to use ... once you get it down :D

Good idea Ken and yes it is only that one.
Must of had a senior moment when laying it out the notch was to be cut at 115.7mm and I cut it at 105.7. I thought I had checked it before cutting them all but must have got interrupted.

Ryan it does have a 1/16 in pin for alignment and I use double stick tap and had no creep they are right where I cut the notches Perfectly cut. EVEN THE WRONG ONE :doh:

Well when I get some cans I am going to try the sanding down and recutting first. They are running the cans I need starting tomorrow. If I had some cans I would have caught the mistake as I had 2 necks fretted up and ready for cans to check it before cutting frets. Just got in a hurry and now will pay the price. :bang:

Spoo

Spoo being Oops in reverse, do like Ryan suggested and think backwards or outside of the box.

There must be some way that kerf can be made into something artistic. Now, having said that, all I can think of would be a brass (different color than the "real" pieces) or white plastic piece set in the kerf with a line crossing it in the middle or in 1/3 from either side of the neck. The line could be: 1 just a line, 2 the shaft of an arrow, 3 the vertical line of a cleft, or 4 whatever you can think of that would be better to enhance the product.

While you are crying think of it as a brain stimulator---as a way to save the farm.

Enjoy,
JimB

ps You still have my sympathy!!!

Spoo

Spoo being Oops in reverse, do like Ken suggested and think backwards or outside of the box.

There must be some way that kerf can be made into something artistic. Now, having said that, all I can think of would be a brass (different color than the "real" pieces) or white plastic piece set in the kerf with a line crossing it in the middle or in 1/3 from either side of the neck. The line could be: 1 just a line, 2 the shaft of an arrow, 3 the vertical line of a cleft, or 4 whatever you can think of that would be better to enhance the product.

While you are crying think of it as a brain stimulator---as a way to save the farm.

Enjoy,
JimB

ps You still have my sympathy!!!

Sorry about that, Jay. It's painful when this kind of stuff happens, but you just have to log it as a learning opportunity and press on. I like Ryan's idea of planing them down and re-cutting. Another HF ruler and some fresh notches in the right spots and you're good to go. It looks like a great idea and sure beats paying for StewMac templates. I'm stealing it...not the bad cut part though....well, maybe that part too:D

reminds me of the time I built a whole set of cedar screen panels for a porch with bronze screening. boy they came out great. I delivered them only to get a call when I got back to the shop that none of them fit..
turns out I forgot to "burn" the inch on the tape measure and every screen panel was an inch too big.........

easy mistake that just happened to occur when you had 84 of them to do.. frustrating but not the end of it all. it is only wood. Your idea of inlaying your logo is pretty cool and a simple fix another way might be to plain down the cuts, laminate a complimentary piece of wood and recut in the right locations?

Sorry to hear this Jay.
I go with Kens idea and make it into a feature.
Adds a bit of value but doubt u can get the cost back. You could turn it into a special edition. :)
Best of luck in whatever fix u decided on.
What about just getting some copper wire same thickness as slot and just running it all the way round. Cut the same grove on all four sides.
Then put proper fret slot where it should be and move on. Discount them if u have to.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear this Jay.
I go with Kens idea and make it into a feature.
Adds a bit of value but doubt u can get the cost back. You could turn it into a special edition. :)
Best of luck in whatever fix u decided on.
What about just getting some copper wire same thickness as slot and just running it all the way round. Cut the same grove on all four sides.
Then put proper fret slot where it should be and move on. Discount them if u have to.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Wow the slot all the way around. I never thought of that. It would be the easiest and cheapest fix for sure. Going to try the Planer and that idea and see which sticks...........(pun intended) :rolleyes:

Thanks Guys its All good help :thumb: