Termite tool

I have been very happy with mine. I don't do much aggressive shaping with it, but for final passes and cleaning up I prefer it to a scraper 9 out of 10 times. Not a very big learning curve, either.

Hmm...you've piqued my curiosity. I'd seen them in passing, but hadn't really read up on them. Looks like a handy tool, and I'll bet the cutting bits could be useful at the end of a hollowing rig, too. I may just have to look into getting one. :rolleyes:

I'll blame it on Ken, Bill and Sam. :rofl:

As a follow-up...I gave my new Termite a spin last night on a sorta punky spalted sycamore bowl, and Sam was right. This is a neat tool, that does indeed produce less tearout than I get with a sharp bowl gouge. Of course, my bowl gouge technique has a lot of room for improvement, but the learning curve in the Termite was pretty short for me.

The termite is pretty good value in turning tools too. I spent hundreds on my Woodcut system. It works great, but the Termite, in my hands, is a better tool. The Woodcut Proforme is a very aggressive tool, and is great, don't get me wrong, but I've found for little goblets and for end grain boxes, the termite is almost like cheating. It's a good purchase.

Getting the Woodcut stuff set with just the right amount of limit is the toughest part. With patience, I have been able to get them to cut nearly as clean as the Termite, but you are right when they are set for aggressive work, nothing evacutates a bowl or vessel faster. I generally set them for medium attack and finish with other tools, like the Termite. Saves the time I would have to spend to reset the Woodcut tools for different stages.

:congrats: Vaughn you have a lot of women chasing after you:rofl: Problem is I think that they are all carrying cast iron skilets:eek: . Don't think that they want you to turn a lid for them, maybe they want to make a lid for you:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Thanks for all of the information though,
Chuck