Looks like the mascot is on the road home

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Lokai turned 16 this past week. No mean feat for a large breed. Many of you met Lokai as he road shotgun on my reflection tour, traveling cross country back in 2009. He has been on medication for arthritis for about a year, has suffered at least one seizure, and is nearly deaf. Even so, he is still a happy guy that still has his appetite and derives a great deal of enjoyment in barking at every stranger that dares walk past the house.

Lately he has experienced some trouble breathing and has coughing fits. A trip to the vet today unveiled another issue we had not expected. Lokai has a tumor in his left lung that is already larger than a golf ball. The vet is 95% sure it is malignant and will eventually grow to a point where breathing will be very difficult. We will return to the vet for more X-rays in three weeks. If it is growing we will know for sure.

We almost lost him once because he had a strong reaction to being sedated, so surgery may not be an option. And, at the ripe old age of 16 I really don't want to put him through chemo.

If it were up to me he would live forever, but I can't be greedy and only think of myself. He has been a true friend and companion through some of the darkest days of my life and I want him to enjoy our limited time together. He will decide when it is time. As long as he is happy and able to carry on his daily protection of the front lawn he will be here. When the quality of his life begins to fall he will let me know and we will have to say goodbye.

I remember him well-a good dog indeed. It's not fun that we outlive our faithful companions who give us so much. With you he has had a great life as have you with him.

I can tell by the tone of your post that you will do the right thing when he tells you it's time. It's an act of love, tough as it may be.

Sorry to hear Rennie. I know how hard it is to see and go through. We had to put our 11 year old great dane down last week but it was for the best. We didn't want to see her suffer. Stay strong..

He was a rock when you needed him, now he needs you to be his rock. He will depend wholly on you to make the decision as to the time. I put our Lilly, 14 year old boxer down this spring. It is tough, but part of our responsibility as their friend.

Thank you all for the kind words and support. It is hard to believe sometimes when we walk around the house or outside that his days are so number. I am hoping the growth is slow growing and he can stay the summer with us. I will keep you all posted.

Rennie I Love my dogs and I want them to live forever also. lokai is a good dog from what is remember and it is hard and it something I do not want to go through but I know I will have to someday my thoughts and prayers are with you. give Lokai a scratching for me