a simple way to die

My cousin died last week, fell and hit his head on the concrete. Made me think about the slipping and tripping hazards around my place. I had cleaned up a slick spot on my concrete where it stayed wet much of the time and the green stuff grew just a couple weeks ago after slipping in it a couple times. Been meaning to pressure wash all of my concrete, might be a sign it is a good time to!

We take care of what seems to be the more dangerous safety hazards, sometimes we overlook the smaller things or don't even consider them.

Hu

Home Safety is far too often over looked.

Poisons under the kitchen sink is a horrible thing to kids, and animals

Slick smooth slippery stairs - really bad.
Don't we LOVE that NEW oak stair treads on the new oak stairs we just made -- Please Carpet that.

Do we leave drawers open that are close to the floor? - Trip hazard.

In our shops - air hole on floor? Extension cords on floor? Wood scraps on floor? Rusty nails pointing up?

this list could go on and on and on and on and on

In a workplace OSHA - would shut down the workplace if it complied to our home standards.

HU - thanks for the WARNING --- WE ALL NEED IT!!!!!

Thanks to those who offered thoughts and condolences for the family. Always a shock when someone goes unexpectedly. I wasn't real close to this cousin, used to see a good bit of him but different lives took us in different directions. Last saw him about two years ago.

Larry, you didn't meet Vince although you probably would have with a little more time to visit. He still lived a few miles from where the antebellum home once was that I lived in a year or two as a child. Probably a hundred of my kinfolks within fifty miles of there.

Pet safety is a major issue, the pup likes to grab at my feet. I fuss about shoe laces but haven't been fussing about toes. Guess it is time. A near disaster, he knows when I sit in a chair he gets some attention. He jumped into a chair as I was sitting down yesterday, directly under me. Fortunately I was using my arms to lower myself into the chair as I don't quite trust the netting seat. Wouldn't be much left of the little fellow but a fur seat cover if I sat on him! Pets and small children are unpredictable, we have to expect the unexpected. I haven't had small children or pets around in decades, hard to adapt.

Taking a quick glance, slips and falls are second only to car accidents as the cause of accidental deaths. OSHA mentions floors and work areas but I assume that number is a bit skewed by including falls from heights. Another cousin placed a scaffold board across two five gallon buckets to paint a garage ceiling years ago. A quickie job, silly to break out the scaffold to gain sixteen inches or so. He fell from there and badly broke a leg.

We will never eliminate all hazards no matter how hard we try. All we can do is try to be alert, America needs more Lerts!

Hu

An off topic PS, Vince had been at odds with his brother for decades. Never in the same place if it could be avoided and as far as I know never a kind word between them. Pretty sure the feud had been about little things, they had an intense rivalry from childhood. Two good people, too late to be brothers again. They lived less than ten miles apart. Makes me think it is time to bury the hatchet with one or two people but every time I try to they duck.

My dad is wobbly and I fear him falling. The pup we have now doesn't know about his house in the far pasture so she doesn't start going there and trip him. It just isn't worth it. Sorry to hear Hu, we take tomorrow for granted, guess that is a good thing.

My dad is wobbly and I fear him falling. The pup we have now doesn't know about his house in the far pasture so she doesn't start going there and trip him. It just isn't worth it. Sorry to hear Hu, we take tomorrow for granted, guess that is a good thing.

I have had off and on balance problems for years myself. Makes life interesting. When I start walking I'm never 100% sure if I'm going to go north, south, east, or west! We all have to try to strike a balance though. Some people are afraid to live worried about what might happen, some are far too reckless, most of us fall somewhere in the middle including me I hope.

One thought for your dad, could he wear one of the panic buttons in case he does fall? The lady that lived here had Alzheimer's and I have noticed one of the buttons hanging on the wall. Could be handy worn around his neck all the time. A cell phone is nice but if I really need mine it will probably be in the truck or by my bed.

Hu
Hu