Blown throne zone

The new insoles in my shoes are not as cushion-y as I thought :doh:the floor itself is getting as soft as my old noggin.

Worst part about it is, I just laid this tile, & sub-floor about 2 years ago when I replaced our tub... guess the old double wax ring wasn't such a good idea after-all :bang:

Fun stuff when there's only one indoor outhouse.

Just getting started...and already feeling flushed :rofl:

mini-Start.jpg

Yes definitely tearing into the sub-floor, don't know where my mind was in my OP, should of said 'under-layment' not sub floor...
punched a hole in the softest spot, looks like some real fun coming up.
Surprise.jpg

Thanks for the link Ryan, but after the bear fight to get the tiles off, think I'll be going back to linoleum, that will bring everything back to the original height and make the Missus happy, as she liked the ease of changing out the 'decor' every couple of years{insert face-palm here}.

Edit:
Probably going to stop here for tonight, Wife'll be home in a half hour or so, will go & pickup some ply & supplies, cut the sheet goods down tonight, and tear into it again in the AM after she leaves for work.
4now.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Ryan, but after the bear fight to get the tiles off, think I'll be going back to linoleum, that will bring everything back to the original height and make the Missus happy

I just recently figured the fernco fittings out.. Personally I'm thinking no wax rings for me even when its at the right height because there is always the chance of compressing one side or having a snake "grab" them or .. and then leaks! I don't like leaks!

For kicks & giggles here's a shot from when I tore into the tub replacement...3/4 1x6 pine with 3/4 ply & 1/4" luan over that....will probably find something similar{no guarantees with the way this house was slapped together} as I get more into it.
Bath floor.JPG

Told the Missus that she could have that walk-in shower now, if she'd learn to use the bushes by the neighbors house....she wasn't buying it :huh::D

:rofl:

Maybe its time to redo the whole bathroom then... :stick:

Ha, should of heard the complaining when she had to use the neighbors shower 1, that's 'one' day during the tub install :pullhair::whistling:

If it were up to me we'd sell this dump and move up-north, we bought this place in '85 with the thought of building a little equity, cash out and move on....life laughed right in our faces...Oh well, we have hard enough time keeping this little shack clean, can't imagine something with real sq footage :rofl:

Ha, should of heard the complaining when she had to use the neighbors shower 1, that's 'one' day during the tub install :pullhair::whistling:

Can always do what we did when I was a kid and hang some tarps and put the garden sprinkler over the top. Instance shower! I'm sure that would be a swell sell :whistling:

can't imagine something with real sq footage :rofl:

Yah its truely horrible... especially when you have to move again after that. We moved from a 3200' sq place at the last house (which was admittedly ridiculously to large but the price was ok and the location was fantastic) to just under 1400' here. Luckly the previous place was mostly unfurnished (although we did ditch two beds, a couch, a bedroom set some chairs, most of my larger yard machines, etc.. in the move).

That really stinks Ken but be sure to carefully document every step you take in fixing this and post the pictures.;)

I've just found out I have the same problem in my upstairs bathroom. Leak through the ceiling in the downstairs bathroom. I need all the help I can get :eek:

Not a whole lot to document Bob, especially with my lack of knowledge. But I'll do my best to keep you all entertained with photos as I remember to take them. It all boils down to demolition and the manipulation back into something hopefully serviceable :eek::D figure it can't be any worse than from where I started :whistling:

Got the throne out & the wax ring didn't look all that bad, so I'm now leaning to what Larry mentioned about condensation, or my other thought on the water inlet line possibly leaking....We're on a crawl space which is approx. 4' deep or so directly under here & the kitchen area, the rest of the space is too cramped/tight for my big behind to crawl around in to reach these areas. There is no water vapor protection that I can see, so I'm assuming moisture from that aspect/effect could also be a major contributing factor.

Fun removing this little step thing I built next to the tub, the Mrs likes her candles and wanted a place to set some while bathing, man there's no pleasing them or convincing them of other means & ways. Ended up using my largest pry bar and just ripping it out as the screws were all buried under the tile adhesive.
tub step.JPG

and now the main demo begins...here's some proof it was actually 'slapped' together with whatever was available from the looks of it :huh::doh:
demolish1.jpgdemolish2.JPG

More as I go, but I'm in no rush at this point...Grrrr :(
She just might have to learn to use those bushes for a while after-all :rofl:

Edit: I should correct myself and mention that someone previously used what looks like 30# tar paper as their moisture control. but that stuff is so brittle and cracked apart that it's totally useless...FWIW this joint was built in 1948.

Last edited:
I'm thinking your lucky no one ever fell through that floor :eek: Reminds me of when we redid my friends roof.. It might well be faster to just rip it all out in one pass at this point.

Wow, well at least you didn't go through. Might check the seal between the tank and bowl too to make sure it's not leaking too and there aren't any hairline cracks in the bowl. I typically use the foam filled wax rings when I replace. I saw they have a silicone one now that can be re-used too.

My oh my, guess I've been lucky or maybe I haven't checked, but, I've always used the double wax setup, with no problem. The last upgrade to my bathroom was done by a "pro". It included a new toilet and tile floor. Sure hope he was a "pro".

I'm thinking your lucky no one ever fell through that floor :eek: Reminds me of when we redid my friends roof.. It might well be faster to just rip it all out in one pass at this point.

You're referring to ripping the house from the foundation right? :rofl:

Actually going to half & half it so my fat behind has something to support me :eek:

Good tip on the tank to bowl Darren, slipped my mind as I removed it as one piece...no hairline cracks that I can see.

slow but progressing... Joists look better than shown in the photos...thank God!
demo3.JPGdemo4.JPG