Elm lumber?

larry merlau

i just got a toy box to build out of elm lumber and a contrasting wood.. looking at H maple, this needs some engrving but i think its beyond our laser guys specifictions..
box - Copy.jpgengraving - Copy.jpeghas anyone got experience working with Red Elm?

Made the sleigh bed from Red Elm Larry, you have see it. I didn't have any problem with it at all, it 's pretty soft and course textured lumber but it works really well. Sands smooth and takes finish well. I would use it again for sure.

If you look at Pete's website, you will see he does some big stuff, I think. I can tell you from experience he does great work, a pleasure to communicate with and do business with.

Hey Larry, I haven't worked with elm yet, but a friend of mine has built kitchen cabinets out of it. As I recall he said it was a little squirrelly, meaning that it has internal stresses. So I would cut the boards a little large and thicker at first and let them sit a bit before machining them to finish size. I love the grain pattern and color. I think he used some stain to pop the grain.

Hey Larry, I haven't worked with elm yet, but a friend of mine has built kitchen cabinets out of it. As I recall he said it was a little squirrelly, meaning that it has internal stresses. So I would cut the boards a little large and thicker at first and let them sit a bit before machining them to finish size. I love the grain pattern and color. I think he used some stain to pop the grain.

That's been my experience with elm too, and I tamed it the exact same way you described. It's got some of the most beautiful grain I've seen yet in wood.

I work with Keyaki or Zelkova which is also called Japanese Elm, you might see more of it over there as they are not affected by the Dutch Elm disease, and are being planted as replacements for dying Elm trees.

The stuff I work with has a very toothy grain, but I think it is great stuff to work with flat, bowls, not so much, when it dries it is hard as concrete but it works fairly well, though it does dull sharp edges fairly quickly.

It has been used here for cabinets and tables etc. for a very long time.

Cheers!

in the first post that shows the picture of the box with engraving in it does anyone here have a idea of what that much engraving would cost at a cnc shop?