Baileigh Industrial JP-1250 Review

Earl Rumans

Since there is very little information available on this machine I thought I would post this for anyone that may be interested. I have had my Baileigh Industrial JP-1250 for about 8 months now and I think have used it enough to give a credible review. Baileigh has been around in the metal machine business for years but just started getting into woodworking machines. I did a lot of research before I pulled the trigger on this machine and decided, at the price it was selling for, I couldn't pass it up.

The machine arrived in great shape with excellent packaging. It comes with 4 heavy casters but they don't swivel, so unless you are going to move it in only one direction they are not very practical. The first thing I did, after unpacking everything, was lift it up and remove the casters. I put the machine in a Jet 708119 JMB-UMB-HD Universal Mobile Base, which has worked very well for me, as I am limited on space and have to move the machine all the time.

I am very happy with the 1250 and it does a good job on everything I have thrown at it. I have run hard Maple, Oak, Walnut, Birch and Purple Heart through it without any snipe or tear out. I have run 10 ft long boards through it and I get zero snip from it, the noise level is very good, due to the 3” helical cutter head and dust collection is very good in the planing mode but could be improved in the jointing mode. I always have to vacuum up the planer bed when I change over. I have a Jet 1100VX-CK dust collector that is hooked directly to the machine, when in use. Changeover, to planer, is very easy but does require the removal of the jointer fence. Converting back to Jointer is just as easy and the fence goes back square without any problem. I always check it to make sure but a couple of bumps with my hand and it's back square. I have added a Wixey DRO to the planer bed and accuracy and repeatability is very easy now. It's listed as a 12 inch machine but about the maximum you can run through it is 11 1/2. The bed is 12 inches wide but there are 1/4 inch edge ribs that prevent the full width use.

I got mine when they were selling for a lot less then the current price. I would highly recommend it at the price I paid but at the current price I don't think it's as good a deal. It's still a very good machine and I would still recommend it but now I'ts up in the price range of the Grizzly and Jet machines and they are much better known brands.

Here are some pics of my Baileigh.

Nice-looking machine, Earl. Thanks for the review. :thumb:

And I see you have good taste in bandsaws, too. I've got the same model. ;)

Thanks guys. Vaughan, I have been very happy with that bandsaw also, it does a god job and I like the storage available in the base. Leo, I think this Baileigh is made in China, it's fairly similar to the Grizzly model but the fence is different and it has the European style guard. Like I said Baileigh has been around for years in the metal working industry, with an excellent reputation but just started getting into the woodworking end. I really like the cutter head and I don't think I would ever get a machine with regular blades again. Not only is the noise factor tremendously better but the finished cut is just much smoother then I have seen with blade style systems.