Drum Sander Abrasive Clean Up

glenn bradley

I just thought I'd share. I had used some CA glue to stop a check in a piece of pecan. Although the CA had been setting undisturbed for a few days, the heat from the sander melted it and it fouled the abrasive in two nice neat lines around the drum. These are the kinds of things that lead to burning like we see posts about.

I happened to add some Golden West Super Solvent (for CA glues) to an order to round out the amount and qualify for free shipping. I had almost forgotten I had it. At any rate I put a few drops on a q-tip and basically painted the lines of gummed up abrasive surface. I then scrubbed lightly (and very briefly) with a cheap-o Harbor Freight wire brush and it cleaned up slicker than all get out.

Great tip. :thumb: I wonder if acetone would have the same effect? It is generally a workable solvent for cured CA glue.

Thanks Glenn I learnt something from you today. Somehow i never knew that a solvent existed to loosen Ca glue. My Bad. Could have done with some on so many occasions to get my finger unstuck.

Back in the 1970's when CA first came out, my mom kept a bottle of acetone so she could unstick my dad from his projects. He did TV repair back when they still had mechanical channel changers. Repaired a broken circuit board but it was stuck on channel 3 forever. :doh: