item 9 of 9 for the state fair, the goblet

Dan Noren

Staff member
as long as the time at the lathe was going so well with the backgammon board checkers, i decided that it was time to get a move on with the goblet for the state fair. the blank is one of the ambrosia maple blanks i bought a while ago for the new batch of pepper mills. the goblet is about 8" tall, and a little under 3" in diameter. one thing that i found out after turning the blank was that there was quite a bit of figuring as well as the usual coloring. i figured that it would be best to turn and finish the outside of the goblet first. as this is going to be a useable goblet, the finish on the outside is a water based polycrylic, followed up with white hut wax. the inside when finished will be finished with a mineral oil and beeswax finish. as it was a rare convergence of the twain (pop getting done up for dinner, and my having the camera handy, took the shot).

Attachments

• 001 ambrosia maple blank ready to be turned.jpg
    001 ambrosia maple blank ready to be turned.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 002 outside of goblet turned 1.jpg
    002 outside of goblet turned 1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 003 outside of goblet turned 2.jpg
    003 outside of goblet turned 2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 004 outside of goblet finished.jpg
    004 outside of goblet finished.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 38
  • dressed up and ready for dinner.jpg
    dressed up and ready for dinner.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 37
today was a short day in the shop. the main thing for the day was to finish off the goblet. got the inside hollowed out and finished. parted off and bottom sanded. ready for the fair.

Attachments

• 005 inside hollowed and finished.jpg
    005 inside hollowed and finished.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 006 finished goblet.jpg
    006 finished goblet.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 22