Drawer Organizers - Reuse of Packing Materials

glenn bradley

I guess I'm a bit of a dumpster diver as I will bring home cast-offs from work that appear to have a second-life value possibility. This foam is part of the packing materials that come with a microwave dish / radio setup that we deploy here and there when terrestrial infrastructure is unavailable or insufficient for our needs. Anyway I seem to have gathered quite a pile of them even after giving many away.

My file/rasp organization has morphed over time but, they still always seem to get jostled around which bothers me on some low subliminal level :rolleyes:. A felt pen, a cheap razor knife and about 20 minutes of my time got me this out of half of one of the sheets of foam. This sort of thing isn't for everybody but, it was way simpler than I thought it would be and the materials are free. Just thought I'd post in case someone out there went "ah-ha! I knew I'd been saving that whatzit for something!".

Foam Drawer Org (1).jpg . Foam Drawer Org (2).jpg . Foam Drawer Org (3).jpg

Great idea. Nothing wrong with dumpster diving. That is how I get most of my wood anymore, well I don't go to dumpsters, none close by, but I get recycled wood from many friends.

One of these days I want to go visit Glenn in his shop just to mess some things up. :rofl:

Great idea, Glenn. :thumb: Like you, I have a hard time throwing away good chunks of foam like that, although I end up using them as packing material more often than not. Like Art, my shop drawers have too much stuff in them to allow me the room for the foam inserts.