Out-gassing???

Al Launier

I made a few jewelry boxes for the LOML, most were painted with Rustoleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover, some with other paint followed with Rustoleum Crystal Clear Coat. After a number of months there remains a faint paint smell that is more readily detected by my wife than me, but it is there. Also, some of the lids want to "stick" when attempting to lift them off. The paint cured according to can instructions before applying the next coat.

Any ideas why the odor or the sticking? Will this eventually “outgas”? Any remedy(s)?

Finishing rule of thumb is to never finish any enclosed area (even a cabinet drawer) with oil based finish, since it can take a year or more to off-gas.

At this point, I would leave it open, perhaps in the sun, to force that year or so to go faster.

Although better covered in the "Finishing" forum...UV light will help cure in a hurry...same technique used in nail salons and carbon fiber frames.

Although better covered in the "Finishing" forum...UV light will help cure in a hurry...same technique used in nail salons and carbon fiber frames.

There you go Al. Put on some Led Zepplin, wear your old tie dye shirt under your Neru jacket and break out and dust off your old black light and contemplate the drying of your boxes :D

There you go Al. Put on some Led Zepplin, wear your old tie dye shirt under your Neru jacket and break out and dust off your old black light and contemplate the drying of your boxes :D

That sounds awfully personal. Can I simply forget about it & let it do its own thing? I'm patient, even though JoAnn may think differently. :rofl:

Since the oil finish stinking inside a box or drawer is such an important finishing issue, I suggest the moderators move this thread to the finishing forum. Perhaps post 5 and 6 need to stay in "Off topic" so young children aren't harmed by the mental picture. :eek:

Since the oil finish stinking inside a box or drawer is such an important finishing issue, I suggest the moderators move this thread to the finishing forum. Perhaps post 5 and 6 need to stay in "Off topic" so young children aren't harmed by the mental picture. :eek:

Good suggestion, Charlie. I'll move it.

And the children...well, they're gonna just have to be strong and try to block the mental picture. :D

The following: "There you go Al. Put on some Led Zepplin, wear your old tie dye shirt under your Neru jacket and break out and dust off your old black light and contemplate the drying of your boxes." brought up a mental image, from history, that just had me crackin'.

Enjoy,
JimB