Need help

I'm truning a support bar for under a table 36" long 2" round. Do I slow the lath or speed it up to keep it steady while turning the center.

If you can call me in the shop I'm running around doing things

301-948-6652

Somebody will probably write in and tell you I'm wrong, but you probably need a steady rest to keep your spindle, er, steady while you turn that long piece. I keep meaning to get one, or make one, but so far the longest piece I've worked on is about 12".

Alternatively, there may be a speed at which the piece vibrates little or not at all, like an unbalanced tire.

Roger pretty much said it all. A 36" spindle is gonna vibrate at just about any speed, although slower speeds will likely have a bit less wobble. There will be a speed at which it vibrates the least, but the only way to find it is through trial and error, since each piece of wood will have a slightly different resonant frequency. A steady rest would be a big help. There might be someone here on the forum with a steady rest who'd be willing to turn the piece for you, Dave.

I did get a call from Mr. Ted in Va. He said the same thing Vaughn. I ended up using my hand to steady at the finial. Once all the rough was gone. I will make a steady par got it on the to-do list . Piece turned out perfect.

Thanks

Glad to hear you got it done :thumb:

Even with a steady my advice in this case would be about the same. Not to much tailstock pressure, turn close to final size in sections starting from the tail stock, finish with a planing cut (supporting with your hand if no steady) using either a skew or a 3/4+ gouge, turn speed up or down to try to find nonvibrating speed (will change as you turn the piece). Doing it like that I've managed around 30" and around 1" final d for spoon handles. The last pass can be a bit touchy though :D