Those touch up slip stones.....

fred hargis

I was reading the thread about what next after grinding, and had a question. Not wanting to hi jack that thread...I've started a new one. I saw Alan Lacer on Yoder's woodturning show crow about his diamond slip stone, only to find out they are north of $80. The total doesn't make me wince as much as it just seems overpriced. Anyway, I see Craft Supplies now offers a similar stone (not really, it's a piece of sheet metal), but it's CBN. It's also around $40. I'm thinking it may be as good for touch up's as the Lacer stome...what's other opinions?

I have one of Lacers hones. Been using it for 14 years. I use it a lot. I haven't noticed any wear. I would say that I got my moneys worth. D-way tool also sells a CBN hone. His are $68.

Charlie, I have some similar to those but they don't seem to be that useful for the inside of the gouges....or maybe I don't need to clean the inside of the curves up?

Charlie, I have some similar to those but they don't seem to be that useful for the inside of the gouges....or maybe I don't need to clean the inside of the curves up?

The burr that builds inside from grinding the outside will come off practically instantly when you start using the gouge on the lathe. I don't worry about it at all. I rarely hone the outside of my bowl gouge (most used tool) beyond what comes off the wheel. I spend the 30 seconds starting the grinder and resharpening it every 10 minutes of use (not scientific measure, just estimate)

I do use the small diamond set regularly to hone my router bits.

I agree with Charlie. I have a Tormek with the special leather wheel with gouge profiles on it, and I've not seen any real tangible improvement from honing the burr off the inside of a bowl gouge. Same with honing the outside of the gouge...no noticeable improvement beyond the freshly-sharpened gouge.

I sharpen (or switch to another sharp gouge) whenever I notice that I'm having to force the tool into the cut. The frequency varies a lot, depending on what wood I'm turning.