We bought a Cave...

Greg Cook

Well, actually we bought a house with a long underground garage that will double as a shop and a place for the car...!

After 5 years with no shop, I hope to move all my tools I brought from the States in here, and get a shop going in a couple of months. We get the keys to the house on the 24th.

On the left is the back shop portion of "the cave" and on the right is the front garage portion. It's about 7 feet tall, 10.5 feet wide and 38 feet deep.

Shop portion.jpgFront Garage.jpg

Lots of work to do to get electricity into it for a shop, but I think it will work.... :)

Greg

A little short a little narrow but plenty deep! Certainly have worked it a lot worse places, and dang 5 years with no shop is a long time. Congrats on finding a place to setup. Looks like this ought to work out pretty well. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the place :lurk:

Hey Greg, good to see you on here again!

I bet your "honey to do" list is longer than most :D

Are you going to park the car in the cave too?

Oh wait, it looks like the cave is actually two part, the outside part is not closed off with a roll shutter, the deep part, which will be the workshop is closed off with a roll shutter.

What are you going to do about ventilation?

Have fun!

Hey Greg, good to see you on here again!

I bet your "honey to do" list is longer than most :D

Are you going to park the car in the cave too?

Oh wait, it looks like the cave is actually two part, the outside part is not closed off with a roll shutter, the deep part, which will be the workshop is closed off with a roll shutter.

What are you going to do about ventilation?

Stu,

Thanks,

Yes, the little Lapin will be parked in the front part. There is a roll shutter in the very front, but the shutter in front of the shop part of the cave has been removed, I believe. I may have to put another in or come up with some sliding doors or something.

As far as ventilation, (dust control) I have the Delta dust collector and the Jet filter unit.

50-760DC.jpgJet Filter.jpg

Yes, the "Honey Do" list is really long.....

Also I will have a couple of Sempuki fans, and there is a iron work gate about a meter or so in from the front of the cave that opens into the outside entrance gate, so there will be air flow all the time.

Greg

Last edited:
This is the side of the Cave, so I can run electricity in electrical conduit. We have 120 Amp service, so it is just a matter of getting it from the house, across the patio on the "roof" of the cave, then down the side and in.

Side of the Cave.jpg

Greg

Welcome back Greg that sure is some shop space. Amazing what people get up to in your neck of the woods. I dont see any issue with size, lots of wall space and you not working on cars in there :) Enjoy kitting it out. You got your work cut out for a while.

Rob,

Thanks! Yes, on this side of the pond we have the Dungeon, and now the Cave. Who knows what the next one will be...the Tea room, maybe....:rofl:

Nine more days before we get the keys, and then I'll post some more pics with more detail. Getting power in will be the biggest challenge at first. Then, moving all my tools from the current house. They have been sitting for 5 years, and who knows what they will need as far as getting them together and setup. I hope I can find all the parts! :eek:

Greg