OK..... Do I Have A Chainsaw Problem....?

Stuart Ablett

I just want you all to know:

I live in downtown Tokyo (the view from my building's rooftop)
roof_park.jpg

I now have more chainsaws than routers.....

Yes I bought a new chainsaw, another electric one, as I DO live in downtown Tokyo.

I got a Makita UC4030A 16" saw, they don't even sell this newest model here in Japan yet, they sell the old style type with the motor off the left, perpendicular to the saw guide bar.

I ordered it from Amazon in the US and it came today.

IMG_8238.JPG

IMG_8240.JPG

I saw this box and two things came to mind, first I hoped the saw was intact in the box, it looks fairly beat, and second, man I did not think the saw was THAT big....?

IMG_8241.JPG

I don't know why they did not just cut the box down to size a bit

IMG_8242.JPG

That is a lot of extra packing they sent over here to Japan.

IMG_8243.JPG

OK now we have a box

IMG_8244.JPG

The bits from the box, everything was in good shape.

IMG_8245.JPG

The bar and chain went on the saw very easily, a tool-less set up, looks really good.

IMG_8246.JPG

The other side.

IMG_8247.JPG

My line up of electric saws, I guess I could call them Nuclear powered saws as I live in Japan.

IMG_8248.JPG

IMG_8249.JPG

That is the whole stable so far.....

OK first a few things, the largest gas saw, the Husqvarna 3120XP is going to be sold, I don't get much use out of a gas saw to start with, and this monster, not likely to ever need it, so it will be sold. I'll keep the 28" bar that is on it, as I will also keep my circa 1976 Husqvarna 185CD saw that has no chain brake, as I use that saw on my large mill if I need it. The old school long stroke, lower RPM motor has more torque than a newer saw of the same size (84cc) so it works well on the mill. It also has very little resale value as it is old, heavy and has no chain brake. I have an 18" bar on the 185CD now just in case I ever needed to use it off the mill say in an earthquake recovery emergency.

I did buy that old Shindaiwa electric saw a while back, but I can no longer get parts for it. I can't even get a new guide bar for it, and that hard nose bar I have is not the best, it was bent when I got it badly abused. There are a few more problems, it has no chain brake, and the oiler is a push button affair and it is worn out, and cannot be fixed. The saw is also really heavy, so it is being retired I is still serviceable, but weight, no parts, bad oiler etc makes it not so good for my electric saw mill. The one thing I will miss is that the guide bar is a full 20" long.

The 12" Makita in the foreground is the first chainsaw I bought, it is very light duty, but with a sharp chain it does cut, but slowly, also it has developed a leak in the bar oil department, so it drips oil wherever I store it, I have a cookie sheet under it on it's shelf.

Now I hope that you can see why I bought the new Makita saw, it has a 16" bar on it now, but I've ordered an 18" bar and chain as well as the Granberg Small Log Chainsaw Alaskan Mill.

Granberg+Small+Log+Alaskan+Mill_L.jpg

I figure it will be large enough with the 18" bar on there to do almost anything I'll likely come into contact with.

So really (I tell myself) I have only two or three saws, the Husqvarna 185CD gas saw for my large mill, the new Makita UC4030A electric saw for my small mill and the 12" Makita chainsaw for occasional use here and there...... The big Husky will be sold and the ols big red Shindaiwa will be mothballed.

Cheers!

Stu, as someone with a guitar problem, I can feel your pain, lol. :D I've got so many guitars in my little apartment living room there's no longer anywhere left to sit down. Sort of odd that I have 10 or 11 electric guitars, yet I play in an acoustic band. :rofl:

We all have our vices :) But Stu you ready for search and rescue on the next disaster so i think that can pay for itself in one session. Its hard to part with tools when they still work. New Makita looks like a great saw. What made you go for electric as opposed to gas given potential use when power is out? Do you use the electric one in your dungeon ?

We all have our vices :) But Stu you ready for search and rescue on the next disaster so i think that can pay for itself in one session. Its hard to part with tools when they still work. New Makita looks like a great saw. What made you go for electric as opposed to gas given potential use when power is out? Do you use the electric one in your dungeon ?

Yeah in the Dungeon, or better yet the parking spot at the front of my building. I can't really run the gas saw much, even with the motorcycle muffler on there it is loud, and milling it is loud for a long time. Cutting trees etc you don't run your saw at full chat for 10 min straight, so the electric looks like it should work well. The gas saw would be a back up for an earthquake situation, but I do have a good generator as well that I could run the electric off of if I had to.