transglutimase aka meat glue ideas?

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
Looking to order some meat glue which can stick together disparate forms of meat. Unfortunately it doesn't last very well once open and a small amount goes a long ways. So I'm doing for any ideas on what to do with it before it goes bad.

Ideas so far:
  • steak layered with blue cheese with a bacon layer on the outside
  • meat noodles (pureed chicken or shrimp recomposed into a flat layer, cooked sous vide and the cut into strips)
  • lamb like the steak but feta and red wine butter reduction with shiitake mushrooms)
  • something something port wine reduction layers something something
  • duxelle in something (deep fried chicken wings stuffed with maybe)
  • possibly chicken or duck skin wrapped steak (fried to crispy) not sure if that would stick
  • salmon bellies (skin out) around white fish (rockfish or cod).

Any other ideas to throw in the pot? Probably won't get to this for a bit but laying out the ideas before I order it anyway.

I have got to look this up, Cause it's intriguing.

Not knowing anything about it, I'm thinking something layers of beef, bacon, turkey, pork, lamb, repeated, rolled up tight and smoked.

Meat glue:

toothpick2.jpg

Using these, I've been able to glue bacon to a wide variety of foods. And when it comes to gluing meats, bacon is the only one that really matters. I don't really care about the others. :yes: :D

The very sound of it does not make me think of the food as well tasty. Brent its time to show your breakfast dish you made us during BW 2013 it was stuck together without glue and a most tasty roll. :D

Hah, it's basically an enzyme that sticks proteins together so no real flavor just the ability to stock together things you otherwise couldn't. They make it for both meats and milk products (slightly different bases). You probably don't want to know this but almost all commercial "formed meat" products like chicken or fish sticks are made with it at this point (McDonald's mcrib is a classic example of things made this way, not that I really consider that food).

I'm certainly familiar with roulades and Kiev/cordon blue type dishes and toothpicks :D. That kind of technique works pretty well for things that you make round or don't need to stick real well on their own. For some stuff like the fish that doesn't work quite as well or if you want to make it flatter (steak with a coat of bacon on both sides say). So mostly looking for things that can't easily be made that way..

Brent I'm going to get the activa gs because it's ph buffered so it's both a bit easier to work with and is supposed to last a bit longer once open. Most of the others deactivate within a couple of days. The modernist pantry website (warning extreme food geekery alert) has a pretty good description of the various types.

Other than having a technical sounding name, it's just an flavorless enzyme that helps proteins bind together.

Enzymes such as rennet is used to make cheese.

Enzymes such as alpha-amylase and beta-amylase are used to convert the starches in grain to sugar so we can make beer.

It's really not about the name of the ingredient, but what it can do.

Lot's of interesting applications, from making sausage to molecular gastronomy.

What I made for Burning wood was called a 'fatty'.

Eggs and hashbrowns rolled up in sausage, wrapped in bacon and slow smoked till done...

attachment.php

Other than having a technical sounding name, it's just an flavorless enzyme that helps proteins bind together.

Enzymes such as rennet is used to make cheese.

Enzymes such as alpha-amylase and beta-amylase are used to convert the starches in grain to sugar so we can make beer.

It's really not about the name of the ingredient, but what it can do.

Lot's of interesting applications, from making sausage to molecular gastronomy.

What I made for Burning wood was called a 'fatty'.

Eggs and hashbrowns rolled up in sausage, wrapped in bacon and slow smoked till done...

attachment.php

You had me at bacon:D

Still a little on the HHHMMMMMM side. Needless to say, I have a new one incoming. Mad and a few other phrases I no longer use. Might have it back in use Saturday...but don't count on it :(