narex cranked kneck chisels @ LV

I'm in the same boat. I saw that e mail, but having to buy all 4 may not be the best bet (in my case). But having 1 around at times would sure be handy.

Ryan, I also saw those chisels, but the handles appear to a little fat to me and too short; the blades too short and the offset not enough to make me question them. I worry that they will not allow you enough clearance with your grip. They just don't have the appearance of the traditional looking cranked paring chisels. They give me an impression of butt chisels, not paring chisels. Of course all of this is from just the pictures and would require actually using them in person, which is not a problem for me as the Vancouver Lee Valley store is only an hour away (not factoring in the border crossing). I am hoping that Lie Nielsen, Lee Valley (using their PM-V11) or Blue Spruce will make a set someday.

Bill I'd wondered about the minimal offset as well. I think that probably years it, I could forgive a lot of the other faults but without adequate clearance they wouldn't be super useful addition.

Side note I did get a couple of the narex "paring" chisels and as expected they were to stiff to be real paring chisels but they are really nice long bench chisels so were still fairly useful.. Not really paring chisels though.

It's hard to tell from pictures how a chisel feels or works. If you keep an eye on your local flea markets you can run across some great deals. All my crank neck chisels are from flea market finds. Most are Buck Brothers. Once you have them and use them it's hard to imgine being without them. My most expensive one was about $5.

25zqxed.jpg

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

If you keep an eye on your local flea markets you can run across some great deals.

25zqxed.jpg

.​

Hah! Maybe your local flea markets Mike, but not out where I am. Everyone knows about the abundance of old hand tools back in the Northeast, even in Florida, where their owners go to die. We are in the dead zone here in the PNW (Pacific Northwest) when it comes to old hand tools. :)

By the way, that is a nice set of cranked paring chisels and representative of the form.

I have a 3/8" Henry Taylor that has been wide enough and narrow enough for my needs. I have not yet found the need for additional sizes. Anything that lives in my shop has to pull its weight. The 3/8" does the job and I don't have to find room for 3 friends who might get to play now and then. YMMV. ;-)

Well Mike you certainly have an enviable collection there :thumb:

As with Bill I can't actually remember seeing any in this part of the country, but will certainly keep my eyes open.

[/CENTER]
Hah! Maybe your local flea markets Mike, but not out where I am. Everyone knows about the abundance of old hand tools back in the Northeast, even in Florida, where their owners go to die. We are in the dead zone here in the PNW (Pacific Northwest) when it comes to old hand tools. :)

By the way, that is a nice set of cranked paring chisels and representative of the form.

Thanks for kind words. They aren't a set, but rather a hodge podge of ones I picked up as singles, or what was available. None of them are what I consider 'new', but older styles. But, they were new to me.:D

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

Bill Managed to put into words what i was thinking in terms of the handles when i saw that flyer. I will take a look at them when next in LV but i fail to see the need for all 4 at once. Ryan i too have the Narex sets.

In future i have decided i will never buy another set off the bat. There is merits in working with a single hand tool and making sure you like the handle. Some of the Narex handles i have are nice and stout but not comfortable in the hand. A well designed handle is just as important if not equally important as the blade. No point in having a great blade if you dont get to present it correctly when working with it due to how you have it gripped.

In future i have decided i will never buy another set off the bat.

Agree that this would be good advice in general since I only use 3-4 of the chisels 98.2% of the time, although price break on the sets is often.. good at sucking me in :D

Some of the Narex handles i have are nice and stout but not comfortable in the hand.

I can concur with this. They're largely useful (and I believe designed as) as mallet chisels, although you can still do pretty delicate work that way they aren't a replacement for chisels with easier handles. OTOH they do work pretty well as wackers.