A Beer Jocky Box

Stuart Ablett

What is a beer jocky you ask?

Well here in Japan it is a large glass beer mug.

This is a quick project that got thrust upon my by my lovely wife at the last minute.

This coming weekend, we are heading to our friends summer house south of Tokyo for a few days, we will be having a pig roast and party at their house on Sunday and will be returning on Monday at some time.

That is our summer vacation.

I always take something along as a present, last year I took two slab benches that I built (I'm curious to see how they have survived the last year being about 100 meters from the sea).

This year the weekend sort of snuck up on us, we were wondering what to take and my lovely wife had a good idea, every year at this party as we are so very near the beach, everyone's plastic drink cup goes for a ride on the wind if it is not at least half full. We have some old beer jockeys and she decided that we would give them a dozen of these old but never used mugs. The thing is the cardboard box they came in is rather rough, so it was suggested that I build a box for said jockeys.... ;D This was suggested on Monday morning, we are leaving Saturday night to go down there.... :p

It was Wednesday here today.

IMG_8258.JPG

IMG_8259.JPG

IMG_8260.JPG

I've got most of the parts cut, I only need to cut the dividers. Then glue it all together and sand it then finish. I want to put about 5 or 6 coats of varnish on the box, but I don't know if I'll have time for that many.

You can see the mugs in the pics, there will be 12 of them and they weigh about 500g each so six Kg of glass, that is just over 13 pounds. The box needs to be stout but not so overbuilt that the whole thing gets to heavy to pick up. I'm using a good quality grade of 9mm (Edited, nice catch Carol!) plywood, it is all finger jointed on the corners and everything else is dados including the dividers. When all glued up it should be fairly solid and not too heavy.

I have to make handles for the ends as well.

Wish me luck getting it done!

Cheers!

Last edited:
He'd build a box for anything as long as he gets to use that Incra box joint jig!!

I was thinking the same thing. :D

I wonder what percentage of Incra box joint jig owners have built a box to store their Incra box joint jig. :rofl:

Well I guess you could say the same for my Nova DVR 3000 lathe, my SawStop Industrial Tablesaw, my Festool TS 55 rail saw etc etc :D

My iBox hangs on a hook on the ceiling.

I got the dividers done....

IMG_8261.JPG

Yep, that should work.

IMG_8262.JPG

Sure glad that the beer mugs fit! :D

IMG_8263.JPG

OK the dry fit is done, I'll get it glued up and then sanding and finishing will start!

Cheers!

Excellent gift and idea great to have a wife thinking of the refreshments for the beach. For a moment before reading your post i was wondering if this was going to be some attachment for the bike trailer and moving glasses of filled beer mugs around. Was wondering what your countrymen were getting upto this time in your neighborhood. But i am please to see my thinking was out to lunch.

I got taught by the Germans in one of those houses of joy of theirs (beerhall) that this size of mug is a Stein. Be prepared for greater consumption of barley hops than your former plastic cups. If i remember correctly a Stein holds approx 1 litre of beer.

BTW i never doubted for a moment that you would pull it off in time. Your wife knows what you can do. ;)

Would hand holes work? Easier to pack.
That's a brilliant idea too :thumb:

Would hand holes work? Easier to pack.

The problem with hand holes is well the holes, they let in a lot of dust and other things.

I'm going to try to make some braided rope handles.

Another dry run at clamping this thing, it is a complex box with lots of parts, once it is together it is strong, but during assembly it is not.

IMG_8264.JPG

Might look like too many clamps, but none of them are under much pressure, I want to use more clamps with less pressure, the box will stay square that way, as the plywood is only 9mm or 3/8" thick, and with all the dados in it the plywood is a bit bendy.

Going to doubleside tape some of those cauls to the clamps and then I'll dig out the glue pot.

Cheers!