Bruiser is back in the driveway.

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
$1100 later. :eek: It was the water pump. And the plastic radiator reservoir, and all the hoses, and the serpentine belt, plus anti-freeze. And an oil and air filter change.

The only thing left to fix are the hood supports. I need a stick to hold it up. He pointed it out. I knew it. But they got overlooked this time. Next oil change. Another $100.

And paint the lumber rack.

Nuttin' cheap about owning a vehicle.

Hood supports and lumber rack paint...you can do without. Water pumps, hoses and belts...not so much. Glad to see your truck is back at home. :thumb:

Yeah, Ted, I do. The car and the bike on are CL. Need to thin the herd. I still have three heavy cargo trailers with tools and household stuff and I bought the truck for them. And there is building the house. Can't imagine doing that without a truck. Besides, its paid for. But even paid for vehicles have 'payments' by way of maintenance. Any oil change in Bruiser is a $100 affair at the minimum. Diesels have a premium. I don't think I overpaid this guy for what he did. He has an excellent reputation. He is one of those, we fix it right or take it someplace else kind of guys. And he has no time for walk ins. Appointments are a week out or more.

Yeah, Ted, I do. The car and the bike on are CL. Need to thin the herd. I still have three heavy cargo trailers with tools and household stuff and I bought the truck for them. And there is building the house. Can't imagine doing that without a truck. Besides, its paid for. But even paid for vehicles have 'payments' by way of maintenance. Any oil change in Bruiser is a $100 affair at the minimum. Diesels have a premium. I don't think I overpaid this guy for what he did. He has an excellent reputation. He is one of those, we fix it right or take it someplace else kind of guys. And he has no time for walk ins. Appointments are a week out or more.
You are lucky to find that kind of mechanic. He is a treasure in these times.

I would not mind paying for a mechanic like you have found. I have not been so lucky hence my diy approach. Good that you have a guy like this to help you with your fleet while you have it. Were you not planning on culling the trailer herd as well. Or did the "accumulating" note i did not say hording :) of things go in the wrong direction and fill the newly available space.

@Al. My body is way beyond the days of doing my own oil changes. 10 quarts of Rotella oil, oil filter, air filter, and disposal fees. Labor was about $10. For $10 someone else is going to do it!

@Rob. I asked friends for a mechanic and checked out reviews wherever I could find them. Tony kept coming to the top of the list. He is not the cheapest but a guy I can trust to do good work is worth a few extra bucks. As for thinning the herd. For now it is the car and the bike. I don't ride the bike anymore and space is at a premium here. No point in paying for plates on the car due next month. And cars need maintenance as well. Smog fees were $50. Enough already! I need the truck until the house is done. The trailers won't be on the block until the house is done either. They're full!

$100 for a diesel Oil change is cheap. I am running full synthetic in my Prius (prior owner switched to full synth, so I'm maintaining the practice), that runs me just about $75 at the local quick lube. I simply add the receipt to the tax files since it is my rolling office. Oh, and I'm doing that about once a month given how much I drive.