Removing glue stains from TS???

Al Launier

I just finishing gluing up some poplar to be made into BS boxes. I placed wax paper on the TS & the boards, (2) 8/4 x 4" x 36", on the wax paper thinking this would contain the glue squeeze-out. After removing the glued boards & wax paper there was a long line of stains from the glue (Titebond III). I tried removing the stains with Mineral Spirits, Acetone, 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, and also lighter fluid (I usually use this to remove adhesives, but nothing else worked). The MS did remove the light residual glue that seeped through, but the stain remained.

I'm kinda protective of my equipment and this bothers me. Any ides on how to remove the stains?

All when it comes to my cast iron work surfaces (yes Glenn i know they aint supposed to be workbench surfaces :rofl:) that get abused from time to time due to lack of available all sorts, i use my palm sander some varsol and sand them yup nice and shiny removes most surface stains and puts a nice swirl back on the shinny top. :D

Similar to Rob, I use an ROS starting with 220 and WD-40, then 320 to polish it a little more. My problem isn't so much glue (although that happens), I sweat like crazy and always seem to drip on my TS. If I catch the sweat drops when they hit, a quick wipe takes care of them, otherwise, it's the wd/sander routine.

Rust Free is a bit caustic and you need to read the directions but, I have brought out deep shadows with it. for light problems I just spray it on a paper towel (while wearing gloves) and wipe the stains away. A piece of masonite or scrap 1/8" paneling cut to just a bit bigger than your cast iron surface is a good protection. 1/4" melamine, a $3 plastic tarp from Harbor Freight, hot pink shower curtains on clearance, elastic hemmed table clothes (designed for picnic or patio tables), etc. Anything that will save me having to restore my tool surfaces will do ;-)

Last edited:
Thanks Guys.

Glenn, that is just what I was looking for - just bought it from Amazon.

I keep a sheet of cardboard on most all of my tools, including the TS, but wanted a "flat" surface to set the two 3' long boards on edge. Thought the wax paper would protect against glue squeezeout - wrong! Lesson learned. Will use something else in the future. I don't like to abuse my tools. Thanks for the Rust Free tip - that hopefully will do the trick.

but wanted a "flat" surface to set the two 3' long boards on edge

Ah, I am familiar with that challenge; catch my mess but, don't mess with my reference surface. I use the cheap-o, thin, shower curtains that you can get a Wally-World for a couple bucks. They are flimsy but, that's just what the doctor ordered.

Ah, I am familiar with that challenge; catch my mess but, don't mess with my reference surface. I use the cheap-o, thin, shower curtains that you can get a Wally-World for a couple bucks. They are flimsy but, that's just what the doctor ordered.
The shower curtain sounds like a winner! :thumb: Guess where I'm going next time I'm in the area. ;)