A potential very useful upgrade for a camera and photo uploading

Rob Keeble

Been doing some research on cameras looking at buying my first digital DSLR camera and in the process came across what i consider to be a very novel clever invention. First time i am seeing this, some of you may be aware of it already just thought i would share it for those of you not as techie.

This guy in Singapore has launched a SD card that has its own wifi capability built in. You can use it on anything and it can upload the contents via your wifi network. So no more unplugging the SD card and putting it in a reader on your pc or laptop and then accessing it and copy and pasting the images to the hard drive or whatever.

This thing will upload via the wifi network without being removed. Or you can get an app for it for both iphone or android and upload to your phone.

He came up with the idea when his daughter lost her camera on holiday and lost 3 days of photos and memories.

What this permits is to upload to another device easily so you have a backup.

He has Toshiba as a shareholder now and they have branded it Toshiba Air cards http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...a_pfw016u_1bcw_16gb_flashair_wireless_sd.html

His original brand name is called a Flu card which Pentax also adopted. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008382-REG/pentax_38610_flucard_for_pentax_16gb.html

I think its a neat feature to see the convergence of wifi and memory cards in the same SD package.

Sure makes plugging in and out obsolete.

I've been using Eye-Fi cards for a while now, and have a more generic one as well. They are kind of neat, but the issue is it can take a while to transfer the files. Pulling the card and plugging it in is still much faster, and uses less battery life on the device.

Since I've gotten a Galaxy S5 though, what surprises me is how well the camera on the phone works. I find I tend to just us it any more. If I was traveling, I could even see not taking my DSLR with me and just using the phone. I've got it set up to automatically upload files to the cloud whenever attached via wifi.

So I could put this in my camera, take pictures and then send them to my PC with no wires involved? Is that correct? That could be nice. I just don't keep up so I don't understand much of this stuff. :eek::photographer::confused:

I do not understand "cloud" at all......... ah well, I got my shop, what else matters?

Last edited:
While I think the technology is pretty nifty, for the price of the Toshiba card I'll just keep removing the standard SD card from my camera and sticking it in the slot on my laptop. And the Flu card? $100 for a 16 GB card? For that price it better cook my dinner and change the oil in my car, lol.

I recall seeing something about this a year or two ago. First thought? I'm too cheap to even consider it. Yes, I may be lazy, but not too lazy to take the SD card out of the camera and transfer the photos to a computer. When traveling, I transfer photos to my laptop AND a thumb drive. I also have multiple SD cards, so I never delete files until I'm home and do a final transfer to my office computer. Anal? I've been called worse! Oh, yeah.....my process costs a lot less than $100!!!

While I think the technology is pretty nifty, for the price of the Toshiba card I'll just keep removing the standard SD card from my camera and sticking it in the slot on my laptop. And the Flu card? $100 for a 16 GB card? For that price it better cook my dinner and change the oil in my car, lol.

I don't remove my card, I have a wire that I plug into the camera and into my PC. Can't you do that on laptops, or is it a matter of not wanting to carry a wire around with the laptop?

I have to admit, it made it much easier for Sharon. All she has to do is leave the camera turned on, and it uploads it.

But when my cell phone has a 16mp point and shoot that is better than any camera I own, except for my canon dslr, well, the whole idea of local storage starts to get a little fuzzy.

I'm mostly in the same boat as Brent that I've started using my smart phone for most photography. I run dropbox and have it set to automatically upload all my new photos, which sync automatically to my pc's. I mostly use my DSLR for special occasions and many times don't have wifi access at those. I'll probably be using it this fall again for some nature shots in colorado where I need a zoom lens, but wifi won't be something I have access to.