OK Computer Geeks, anyone have this problem?

Al Launier

I have Windows 8.1 with Windows Live Mail (Windows Essentials 2012) and use Google Chrome as my IP. Also, I use Kaspersky PURE 3.0 Total Security software.

The problem is with Windows Live Mail: It frequently will not send out emails. On these occasions I get a drop-down window stating that I need to type an address (which is already there). In these instances, I go to the Control Panel, select
"Programs and Features", then right click on "Windows Essentials 2012", select "Uninstall/Change", then select "Repair all Windows Essentials Programs". Once this is done, the email with the Group address can usually be sent (about 90% of the times). I have tried editing the Group address & saving it as suggested online, but that doesn't work.

I've surfed several Windows sites for Window Essentials 2012 updates & found that Windows 8.1 does not support the POP (Post Office Protocol), instead it supports IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol). I called Comcast & they cannot use the IMAP protocol which means they can't do anything about the Windows Essentials 2012 program. They directed me to their Comcast site for emails instead which I don't like. Looks like I've gone 360°.

Have any of you folks experienced this and if so have you found a solution?

I had similar issues when I tried the Windows Essentials mail. I now just use Gmail for pretty much all my email accounts since it lets you add POP and IMAP accounts. I setup folders (Tags as they call them) for each, then on the pop/imap account settings I set them to skip the inbox, which moves them to their respective folder(s). Since I have an android phone and tablet I can use the gmail app and don't have to do any special setup, just add the app and sign-in using my gmail account, the rest are already there.

If I were to download a different email software program (compatible with W8.1) would I be able to export all my files & folders from Windows Live Mail to the new program? Or do the programs have to be "software compatible"? I'm concerned about losing my files & folders.

If I were to download a different email software program (compatible with W8.1) would I be able to export all my files & folders from Windows Live Mail to the new program? Or do the programs have to be "software compatible"? I'm concerned about losing my files & folders.

I do have a local mail client, called Thunderbird, and it allowed me to open the outlook files (*.pst file extension) from my previous laptop. I typically leave all mail on my server, so I wasn't on the Windows 8 mail long enough to have to export it as thunderbird downloaded the mail directly from my mail server.

It doesn't sound like the Window 8 mail app stores emails like outlook did. It stores them in a hidden folder as *.eml files, each email is it's own file in that folder(s), which can be opened from most windows mail applicaitons. See the link below...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...pp-of-my/2d2fe20f-da88-4925-922c-5a03bfaccc98