Gosh twang it

Aw man, it breaks my heart just to look at that. :cry:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that the finish problem that started this chain of events was the result of hurrying something. At least that's what happens to me. I'll try to hurry or shortcut something with the finish, and end up paying for it in the long run.

Ted, luv it:rofl: I thought about having Larry pitch it to me and swinging a bat at it :D

No Vaughn, highly unusual for me but not this time ;). I think{with some Larry thoughts thrown in} that I wiped it down between coats and contaminated it. I had a bunch of rags laying there, and one of them had machine oil on from cleaning the drill press. Two bad spots kept getting worse the more I tried fixing it.

Brent, we'll see in the morning :dunno: :crossed:
I managed to get the middle section out, though I did end up having to remove the banding at both ends, chisel slips :doh: Thought I had a large enough piece of the mahogany, but, well you all know my luck :eek: so I piece-mealed it with some oak & walnut strips...just not sure how it's going to set-up to the bracing, not many options on clamping....man, all I want is to hear it at least one time, and I don't mean the sound from it smashing against the wall :rofl:

I probably shouldn't post anything just yet, but the heck with Murphy :p, I just don't care anymore :D

Pic 001.JPG Pic 002.JPG

If worse comes to worst, I'll get to do my Hendrix imitation :D
hendrix.jpg

Thanks for the videos Scott, much appreciated :thumb:

I hear ya Ryan, I heard the fat lady singing, but it turned out she was just practicing :D

It's no where near perfect, but then again it never was...might just get to hear it yet :crossed:
extra innings are commencing... don't believe there will be a rosette this time around :eek: :rofl:
Pic 003.jpg

Well Ken if you were starting your thread for the first time with the latest picture it might well be considered that this was designed like it is on purpose and no one would be any the wiser. :thumb: Good save, lets hope murphy has had his fill.

Scott some great entertainment in those videos thanks for posting them.

Thanks guys...:)

When Larry was here, we talked about finishing, well, he talked & I tried to absorb...anyways I mentioned how my sanding sealer was at least 5 or 6 yrs old and if that wasn't part of the problem :eek:...Well being cheap & stubborn I tried using it again. And today I had the same problem pop up on me. Almost like blistering going on when I hit it with spray can lacquer{ in the same spots as before along with a few new ones, Grrr}. Enough's enough Murphy! I got out my card scraper, determined to clean it all off or put the whole thing on the grill. And the whole lot came off almost like a heavy coat of wax would, and this was 24+ hours after application of the sealer coat, and 12 or so hrs after the 1st coat of lacquer :huh:
FinishJunk.jpg

Needless to say that the rest of that gallon is now full of sawdust and awaiting for trash pick-up.

Now on to this rosette biz :rofl: I took a different approach to the subject....:D

Feast your eyes on my new rosette {rose set} :p....
PencilBurn.jpg

Transferred a print via carbon paper and then dug out the old wood-burning kit...The line in the above photo is where the front of the bridge will sit, here's a look-see though the bridge hasn't seen any final shaping yet, it's just sitting there...
Bridgelook.jpg

And the finish is as simple as it gets...Min-wax antique oil, Hey, I've only got 2 cheeks to offer ol' Muph and he's slapped thedaylights out of them enough already LOL... here's a couple of shots with the first coat... No more spray cans if I can help it, time to get a gun and start another learning curve.
Oil1.jpg Oil2.jpg

Oh yeah, the roses aren't open as they symbolize my wood skills>>>still in the budding stage :rofl:
& My wife says I remind her of a flower at times...yep, a blooming idiot :eek::D

And that's a peek at my drill press table in that last photo, been toying with it during drying times. Nothing special, just a fence and a larger work surface. Happy as all get out with my new to me DP :D

Now I can get back to finishing the fretwork and, and, and...:rolleyes:

ken according to what has happened to this project so far i say you done real well to get back to where you are.. and if you want some shine easily give it some thinned varnish and a few caots.. thin with mineral spirts or naptha wipe on a nd wipe off first then wipe on let dry touch sand and do it few times.. but this peanut is going to make to the music stage ken if you keep at it!!!