Mid-Century Modern Coffee Table/Bench

Dave Richards

Monday morning SketchUp practice. The design for this popped into my head this morning while I was shaving. Sort of a Mid-Century Modern coffee table and bench. The cushions slide into the openings on the ends when not in use. Glass-topped center section displays trinkets.

Ken, do you think I should switch from the Gillette walnut scented stuff to the hickory? :D

Rob, I had a feeling you wouldn't care for it. ;)

If you look around though, you can see that MCM furniture is bringing hefty prices these days.

I made a couple of modifications. Cushions are thinner and have piping and the case is an inch shallower.

I like it. I've been working on a design for a 'console record player' that will take some styling cues from the 'mid century modern' style.

I like it, and like the fact that the cushions stash away within the table. Aesthetically, the second version is probably closer to typical MCM design, but I like the practicality of the thicker cushions on the first version.

I like version 1 best. Without the piping.

Maybe make the hollow ends 2 inches deep and have the cushins pivot on piano hinges to expose hidden storage areas.

A freind has a similar but more modernized deisgn. the whole base is a cushion, and a few inches above that

where the cushions are on yours, are tables, that slide apart or together.

Apart for foot resting, together for pizza box holding.