another project for one of my nephews

Dan Noren

Staff member
the nephew that i had made the insert for his house sent a message to me the other day, wanting to know if i could make a small table similar to the one in the photo that he also sent. after looking at the picture and finding that it is a craftsman sofa table, i said i could. the only change that he wanted, was to make it 36 inches instead of the 48 inches, and he wanted it in walnut rather than quartersawn white oak. i said no problem, let me draw it up (did that on sunday) and i would get back to him with the price, and how much up front for the materials. i ran the numbers and let him know how much, and he said ok, there would be a check at pop's house for the materials. here is the design, pretty straightforward, with 2 drawers.

Attachments

• peety table.jpg
    peety table.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 45
picked up the walnut for the table yesterday. really lucked out for the length and width just about knot free. the cutlist program said that i only needed 4 boards, but i bought 5 to be on the safe side. the one that is the longest is going to be the one for the top, nice grain, etc. i took the measurements of all 5, and will plug them into the cutlist program to get an exact where and how to cut layout, instead of the ideal one. i have decided to go with a little bit thicker than 3/4" top.

Attachments

• 001 walnut for the table.jpg
    001 walnut for the table.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 22
before i had thought of cutting the boards for the table, my nephew called with a change or two for the table. same height and width, but the depth changed from 18" to 8". did the redesign, and it came out pretty good. while waiting on the chair leg, i did the rough cutting of the boards to length before running them through the planer.

Attachments

• 002 wanut for table rough cut.jpg
    002 wanut for table rough cut.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 17
after getting back from dropping off the items at the fair, i got to cutting all of the parts for the table. tomorrow it will be planing and other cuts.

Attachments

• 003 all parts rough cut.jpg
    003 all parts rough cut.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 7
got all the parts planed down to thickness, and was happy with the way the top looks. amazing what hides under the ugly rough cut. after that was done, glued up and clamped all of the legs. more fun tomorrow.

Attachments

• 005 legs glued up in clamps.jpg
    005 legs glued up in clamps.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 004 all boards planed to thickness.jpg
    004 all boards planed to thickness.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 6
got all of the parts cut to final sizes. tomorrow i will be cutting the mortises and tenons, then the sanding begins.

Attachments

• 006 all parts cut to finished size.jpg
    006 all parts cut to finished size.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 7
got all of the mortises and tenons cut, test assembled, all parts sanded and oiled. tomorrow the finishing starts.

Attachments

• 012 all parts oiled.jpg
    012 all parts oiled.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 011 all parts sanded.jpg
    011 all parts sanded.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 010 first test assembly.jpg
    010 first test assembly.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 009 apron arches cut.jpg
    009 apron arches cut.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 008 all mortises cut.jpg
    008 all mortises cut.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 007 all tenons cut.jpg
    007 all tenons cut.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 11
got the base assembled today. fitting out the table irons to the base, and the base to the top tomorrow. then i can get to the rest of the finishing.

Attachments

• 013 first side assembled.jpg
    013 first side assembled.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 014 second side assembled.jpg
    014 second side assembled.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 015 base assembled.jpg
    015 base assembled.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 13
ready for finishing (seal coat, 3 coats of clear shellac, and paste wax), but, with the humidity so high, i would rather it be me than the finish that does the blushing...

Attachments

• 016 ready for finishing.jpg
    016 ready for finishing.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 13
with another early morning stop at pop's, i got the table finished off. flipped the top, and screwed it down. then it was time for wax and it was ready to go.

Attachments

• 017 attaching base to top.jpg
    017 attaching base to top.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 10
  • 018 finished table.jpg
    018 finished table.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 11