more cabinets for my sons house

allen levine

this time its his office.
I wanted to use what I have available, so I went with ash, for faceframes, rails and stiles.
I just made it with the ash I had on hand, and had to make all the rails 1/2 narrower so Id have enough with enough to cut two more if needed.
Not sure how I will address the desk portion of his office yet. I don't have enough room to work on cabinets and desk at same time.
I used red oak plywood, 1/4 inch for the door panels.
Heres a picture of how they look with ash. Its a pretty close match, and although I never would have used this combo on a kitchen, for his office, I feel, with some darker stain, it will all blend in fine. (I hope, neither of us wanted to go for hardwood expenses)
cabinets 007.JPG

I quit at 11 today, never put the air on, and I didn't want to have a heat stroke, temps only 80, but humidity up at 90 and dewpoints up near 70, not a good day to work in non airconditioned quarters.

oh, was looking through the pics on my phone. Seems months ago (we saw someone with a video camera), theres a restaurant show called restaurant hunter out here, and it highlights different type of eateries all over long island.
Someone was watching an episode of a bagel/deli, and saw me in the background. They took a still of the tv with their cell and sent it to me.
Maybe Im eating out too much? that's me in the background in the peach shirt, I was not happy they didn't interview me, only some woman with food falling out of her mouth.

Attachments

• cabinets 001.JPG
    cabinets 001.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
That ply with the ash does look good. I agree that after staining you won't notice any difference at all, I think they will be perfect for a home office.

I maxed out of space this morning, theres just no more room to do much.
all the doors glued up, cabinets and shelves, left the faceframes in my home so I have room to move around without tripping.
that's it for today, ran out of clamps and table top work space.
Ill work on figuring out where I want to go eat lunch.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 43
Well Allen I would not worry about the wood match, pretty sure the finish will match them up perfectly and they going to be better than the Ikea stuff i originally bought for my home office when i arrived in Canada. At least they not particle board covered with the thinnest of veneer. And i bet you come out costing less than i paid for my JUNK.

So now you are a food celebrity when does you reality show start. Allens Long Island Foodies guide :rofl::thumb:

I agree with the others...I think the different woods will blend together once they're stained.

I get a kick out of the fact that you knock out a cabinet and doors like it's nothing. ;) There are a lof of people (including me) who'd spend more time figuring out the cut lengths than you spend building the whole thing. :thumb:

And I think it's cool that you know where the good local restaurants are. (Although you probably wouldn't want to be seen in the background on an episode of "World's Stankiest Diners" or something like that, lol.) :D

its not tuff work, its just repetitive and can get a little boring, but doing all the dados at same time, and all similar cuts for everything cuts down build time and set up times. Just need to plan ahead.
We picked up the cabinet knobs today, along with some stain, its going to be dark, expresso? minwax, and bronze cabinet knobs with a touch of black in them. Im hoping to have the cabinets stained, this week, spray them the first week of august and hang them later on that weekend.
Hopefully, it all goes as planned. I want to work on the desk part and be done with this so I can start playing with my lathe a little bit.
I think Im going to go over to a fire wood guy near me, and ask him if I can go pick through some of his logs so I have practice pieces.(Im sure for a few bucks each, hell say go have fun)

Last edited:
after first coat of stain, the red oak door panels are a bit darker than the ash frames, but I know it will even out after I put a second coat of stain on. wood soaks up a lot of first coat, looks all uneven.go all the face frames stained also,
I really, really hate this part of building things, stain, stain, spraying, spraying, rubbing, sanding, eh.........I hate it as much as painting walls in my house.
Oh man, I have to tape up the bathroom and start priming the new door moldings, might as well start that after lunch.
I hate painting. (but Im having a good day, no knee pain)

I think Vaughn and the other turners know something I don't know, when I left the shop just now, I noticed 2 chocolate chip cookies sitting on my lathe, with a note, "theres plenty more of these when you come back to me"

Attachments

• stain 001.jpg
    stain 001.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 34
  • stain 002.jpg
    stain 002.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 33
  • stain 003.jpg
    stain 003.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 33
Allen thats a neat hanging rack you got there. Are those special hooks for doors. Looks like they fit into the Euro hinge cup. Doors look good, i am in your camp i hate the finishing process. Long and lots of patience needed. You sure get em done.

not sure who I purchased them from, rockler, woodcraft?, but yeah, they fit into the 35ml hole and hold by expanding, and they are a great asset for me when I have to spray a lot doors and don't have space to lay them all down.(Ive also drilled 35 mm holes in panel backs and other things so I can hang them to dry)
I just hang them anywhere I have space, those doors are hanging off my garage door tracks, Ive screwed a lot of hooks into the overhead crossbeams to hang things on.gotta utilize every inch when the shop is so tiny.

this is my last cabinet work. I don't get paid enough and Id rather be building individual pieces that I enjoy the ride more.

Last edited:
...I think Vaughn and the other turners know something I don't know, when I left the shop just now, I noticed 2 chocolate chip cookies sitting on my lathe, with a note, "theres plenty more of these when you come back to me"

And here you thought the whole "Come to the Dark Side...we have cookies!" thing was just a cute saying. :rolleyes: Oh, ye of little faith. The Vortex is strong. :rofl:

Im glad I got my new finishing room. Saves me such a hassle.
this is what us poor folk do to spray a little lacquer.
Its called plastic tarp heaven, just hang em up, lay them down, cover up everthing, and spray.
Cut some 2x4s in half, took my 2.5 inch brad gun, shot pins through it to hold all the shelves, and I will spray everything on Monday.
giving the stain 5-6 days to cure. Oil based and its getting water based sprayed onto it.
I hang the doors, do them 2 at a time, move them to another spot, then I will spray the cabinets and frames, roll them away, as far as I can, then spray the shelves.
Originally, I was using satin for the inside of cabs and shelves, but it was too old, so I have a lot of new gloss which I will rub down a bit when done, but I think my son likes the shiny finish, so Ill let him come here and be the judge. (I don't care about shelving, inside, makes my life easy to do all same finish at once. And the open shelving will be so stuffed, finish will make no difference.)
so that's where Im at, just looking to bore everyone.

I got a dinner offer this weekend I couldn't refuse, so as of 10 minutes from now, Im in vacation mode. No more shop, just a shower, out to lunch, pack for the weekend, and leaving tomorrow late morning for a little short weekend.

on one cruddy note, I did as usual make a huge error. The end cabinet was supposed to have a faceframe extend 1/4 inch past box so I could laminate a piece of 1/4 inch finished ply for the end of the run.
I didn't. I couldn't make a new face frame because I didn't have a piece of ash left and I wanted it to match.
I had some 33 inch pieces, but not enough and I didn't want to use red oak since all the face frames and door frames are ash.
I left it, then made a panel out of the small pieces of ash that I will attach to the end....probably looks better anyway.
It was a mental slip, and I had it measured right on paper, I just measured 4 times, using the cabinet, forgot it was the end.
A lot of my wifes health issues were on my mind back then, so I gave myself a pass on the mistake, didn't beat myself up over it.
For the desk tops and bottom drawers, I will use red oak face frames, only because I don't want to drive 40 miles to pick up a few pieces of ash.

Attachments

• spray booth ready 001.jpg
    spray booth ready 001.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 33
  • spray booth ready 002.jpg
    spray booth ready 002.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 33
  • spray booth ready 003.jpg
    spray booth ready 003.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 31
I get the impression that it wasn't intentional, but I like the fact that the door panels are a bit darker than the frames. The contrast looks nice to me. :thumb:

Small shop, yeah I've been there, at least you can spray, no way I can spray in the Dungeon.

I'm sure your son will be please with the new cabinets!

i agree on the contrast allen,, the ash will usually not darken as much as red oak ply with stain.. you can achieve it by altering your sanding regime.. but dont fret it i like this way:)