Square Bowls...... The Video

Stuart Ablett

Yep, I did another video....

The little square bowls that I like making so much.

Used two cameras this time, and while it worked, I need to work on the settings of the second camera, they were not great. I also used a new video editing software trial version, "CyberLink PowerDirector 12" it looks good but I'm going to try it out for a while before I buy it, so I have to learn how to use that too.

The video is an hour long, well just a few seconds under an hour, I won't do that again, max 20 min next time I think. I took something like 8+ hours to upload and process

Cheers!

Good video Stu. I made one of those a few years ago, and gave it to my dearly departed Sister, She loved it. I'll try to post a picture of it, for your perusal.

my square 1.JPG

Please let me know what you think. I have to try making another.

Aloha, And thanks, for another fine video.

Great video . Long but very informative and well worth watching all the way through .
I have made a few larger square ones over the years and picked up some nice pointers from you that would have made it go smoother for me .

Excellent video Stu and very inspirational. I liked every bit of it and all the practical advise thrown in. Watched it late last night. Well worth watching. Every time i see your lathe i just love that machine. The ease with which it changes speeds and the way the spindle locks so easily. That's definitely my future replacement. Hope they don't discontinue it before i get to buy one.:thumb: Oh and i agree with you on your thoughts on the nice touches you put on the feet of those bowls. No reason bottom cannot have a nice feature. :thumb: I rather have long that short on detail.

Good video Stu. I made one of those a few years ago, and gave it to my dearly departed Sister, She loved it. I'll try to post a picture of it, for your perusal.

View attachment 86088

Please let me know what you think. I have to try making another.

Aloha, And thanks, for another fine video.

Nice job Toni, and you made it extra difficult because you have a void in there on the edge!

That one has really high turned up tips, almost has a flower like look to it.

my square tony.jpg

It may be an optical illusion, but the area that I pointed out, the curve looks a bit abrupt, it is fairly shallow, and then at this point it goes up in a hurry. I think it would look more organic if this transition area was smoother.

I'm sure that your sister really enjoyed the bowl, I don't know why by lot of people, including myself really like this kind of bowl.

Cheers!

Great video . Long but very informative and well worth watching all the way through .
I have made a few larger square ones over the years and picked up some nice pointers from you that would have made it go smoother for me .

Thank you William, I hope you make some more, they are fun to make!

Cheers!

Excellent video Stu and very inspirational. I liked every bit of it and all the practical advise thrown in. Watched it late last night. Well worth watching. Every time i see your lathe i just love that machine. The ease with which it changes speeds and the way the spindle locks so easily. That's definitely my future replacement. Hope they don't discontinue it before i get to buy one.:thumb: Oh and i agree with you on your thoughts on the nice touches you put on the feet of those bowls. No reason bottom cannot have a nice feature. :thumb: I rather have long that short on detail.

Thank you Rob, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I've never regretted buying this lathe, all in all it is a great machine.