what do you people wear on your hands for applying stains and other oil based finishe

allen levine

what type and what brand of glove to you wear?
Im looking for something very flexible, will not limit my finger mobility, but is strong enough to resist oil based stains and polys.

I use the ones that look like the doctors use.

They stretch onto your hands.

Totally non restrictive

There are 2 kinds --- Latex, and I don't remember the other ---- yeah Nitrile.

I have both - I like the latex, but the oil eats it up. For short quickie jobs it, OK.

The nitrile is not affected by the oil, but they do not fit as snugly.

What I like best is cleanup. Just peel the glove off and whohoo - clean hands. Love it.

Brand does not matter

Seems to be a trend. Blue Nitrile from HF .. for most things (see below).

One side note is to make sure the latex or nitrile won't dissolve in whatever horrible chemical you're using. If they do you can end up exposed to worse things in the dissolved glove than the chemical that dissolved them.

If you search for "glove chemical selection" you can get some nice charts. Some examples here:
http://www.ansellpro.com/download/Ansell_7thEditionChemicalResistanceGuide.pdf
http://www.allsafetyproducts.com/asp-glove-selection-chart-chemical-break-through-times.html

I had some nitrile gloves, but used them years ago, when I closed my store, I had boxes and boxes of the surgical latex gloves, and Ive been wearing those all these years, usually 2 pairs at a time. the stain eats away at them and I had to change them often.
Im on the last box, so its time to purchase something that will work.

i've never used gloves for staining, but then again, i've been pretty careful about it. if i do get any on my hands, a green scotchbrite will do the cleanup job quite nicely.

A further note about blue nitrile gloves. They hold up pretty well to most shop chemicals, but we learn with experience, hopefully. :thumb:

I've had a little problem with them giving up quicker when using lacquer thinner. Don't EVEN think about blue nitrile gloves with MEK! DAMHIKT :eek:

I am also careful - BUT.

With the staining I wipe off with a rag and when wearing the gloves I don't need to worry about where the stain is on the rag - I just wipe away.

It is awefully nice to not need to scrape or scour my hands after I am dome.

It is just so doggone nice to peal off the gloves and my hands are clean - REALLY nice.

I agree with Leo, the easy cleanup is worth the price of admission. Also, with dyes (as opposed to stains), a green Scotchbrite isn't gonna get all of the pigment out of the skin. That stuff goes deep.

Another vote for blue nitrile from HF. If heavier duty is needed, they now have a heavier (black) nitrile.

A minor tip - if you're using a disposable brush or rag, when done, just hold it in your hand while pulling the glove off, and over it. Saves making a mess, and makes disposal easy.

what type and what brand of glove to you wear?
Im looking for something very flexible, will not limit my finger mobility, but is strong enough to resist oil based stains and polys.

I use good ole' Harbor Freight's Nitrile. I use both the medium weight and the light weight. I use the medium weight almost exclusively. The blue gloves are the medium; The gloves that look like latex are lighter weight, and smaller.

I have small hands (sort'a like my brain). However, I prefer the medium size, medium weight gloves and use them almost exclusively. I use them over and over and over again. The original box of 100 is still going to have gloves in it when I kick off and turn into atoms and molecules. Do Not Tell HF that I very carefully opened the end of the box and took out a glove and tried it on my main working hand (right hand in my case) while I was still in the store. That is how I picked my size to purchase.

I purchased my two boxes, 100 small and 100 medium several years ago and the boxes still appear to be full. Now, for the rest of the story: If I am ragging Seal Coat for instance, with the gloves still on, I wash my hands with soap in warm water. The gloves look a bit strange the next time I use them but they work fine. If I am into paint I usually wipe the gloves off with a rag and paint thinner. I have not used lacquer since doing bathroom cabinets several years ago; I don't know if I wiped the gloves with lacquer thinner or tossed them at that time.

I find that I get a better feel with the looser gloves; just the opposite of what you would expect. In my practice, in my life, in my shop, in the kitchen I think I have worn a bazillion pair of surgical latex gloves. I have better "feel" with the looser Nitril's than the "surgically" tight latex. I think part of that is---I am going to exaggerate here to explain--- I can tell more about the shape of a golf ball feeling through a loose piece of chamois than I could if the chamois was fit tight like a drum head. The loose glove gives more feel than the tight (even stretched) glove.

I do wear the closer fit gloves if I am doing something where the loose, unfilled, glove fingers might drag into wet finish while I am working. In order to use up all of the gloves in the
"small" box, I am going to have to live to be 200 years old. Now that is a happy thought. Notice that on my small hand (I'm a 5'4" 106 pound male) even the small size is a bit loose. The latex gloves fit me like my skin, there was absolutely NO slack; in fact they were a bit tight.

I hope that this long monolog has been helpful.

Enjoy,
JimB

ps. Both of these pictured gloves have been used and cleaned several times. A few days ago I did rip the cuff of one glove while putting it on. It had been use and cleaned many times before this happened.

Last edited:
I've used latex gloves (prefer the powder free ones and I think most are that way now, due to allergies), as well as blue nitrile medical gloves (haven't tried the HF ones, personally). When I wrenched, the best ones I found were/are Diamond Grip latex gloves. They actually held up to being pulled off and reused. (bought and still using that one box for home) I have access to some free rags, so I tend to double up a rag rather then using gloves to stain. Then it gets hung on the clothesline to evaporate.

Thanks Ryan for linking to those Charts. I was shocked to see that Nitrile is not recommended for Acetone not that i have bothered using a glove when i have used Acetone to wipe something down.

Just a word of caution here, I have purchased blue nitrile gloves from our version of HF called Princess Auto and found them to be of pretty poor quality in terms of consistency of thickness. Then tried a version from HF and in both cases never paid attention to the thickness of the glove material.

My latest box are the black mechanics version 9 mill take a look here and you see the two versions of blue and the version of black.

We cannot be looking at a chart of permeability and not factor in that it has to be based on material of certain thickness.

I just find that my hands sweat so much in these gloves. I have tried latex in the past but found them poor in standing up to use and chemicals.