Link belts for the lathe, do you use them?

I hope to build the lathe stand today (found a design I liked, that could be put out of the way). I may go with a different one later (as the shop gets reorgainized. The belt that came with the lathe, is a typical 4L belt, but too short for my needs (won't know needed size until built). I was thinking about one of them HF link belts and wondering if anyone uses them on their lathes?

Thanks

I've used link belts for many years on different tools, including my lathe. I haven't used the lathe a lot until recently, but I think the link belt makes it a little smoother.

None of my lathes have been candidates for link belts, but if yours has pulleys that are the right size, I'd say go for it. I know others (like Bill) who've used them successfully. As an added bonus, they're easy to adjust for length, which sounds like it'd be handy for your application.

My first lathe was an old Craftsman tube bed lathe, I tuned the lathe up to run fairly well before I upgraded to the DVR, the link belt was one of the best upgrades I made, smoothed things out a lot.

YMMV :D

I like my link belts. However some of my machines require specific types of belts and will not take link units (Example: grooved belts for my Delta 46-460 lathe). The link belts do seem to be quieter. They are smoother and they don't get set in their shape if they sit unused for awhile.

Enjoy,
JimB

Thanks guys. Dead/flat spotting was one of my concerns. (there is reasons I could end up working a bunch more, or go the other way and end up unemployed)

Didn't get to build the stand today, too many errands for others then exhaustion.

Really an old subject. Previous posts have indicated very good results using them. A friend of mine recently acquired an old machinists lathe. One of the belts was bad. Replacing would have required dissassembly of much of the machine, a huge job. Instead he used a link belt, more expensive, but it was quick and easy and the machine runs smoothly and quietly now. And friend is very happy.

Really an old subject. Previous posts have indicated very good results using them. A friend of mine recently acquired an old machinists lathe. One of the belts was bad. Replacing would have required dissassembly of much of the machine, a huge job. Instead he used a link belt, more expensive, but it was quick and easy and the machine runs smoothly and quietly now. And friend is very happy.

Apologies, I tried the search box, while not logged in (not my computer) and found no results. I don't like having to log in on any computer I can't/don't trust. (I know how bad some software on this thing, drags it down and other issues)

Apologies, I tried the search box, while not logged in (not my computer) and found no results. I don't like having to log in on any computer I can't/don't trust. (I know how bad some software on this thing, drags it down and other issues)

No apologies needed. This is the Internet. Some questions get repeated. ;) But, I'm guessing Frank is referring to other forums, because I just ran an advanced search here and found virtually no discussion about link belts and lathes, aside from this thread. ;)

Another quick comment about link belts:

My first table saw was a Craftsman contractor - good saw for what it was. After reading the ads about link belts and how smooth they could make a tool like a contractor saw, I had to try one. Before I installed it, I did the "nickel test" - stand a nickel on edge and start the saw. The nickel fell over every time. Installed the link belt. Repeated the nickel test and it never moved - not a wiggle from dead stop to full run.

I just happened to buy one of the Link Belts this past week from HF for a 14" Band Saw I've been re-building for a couple of years. With a 25% coupon this was more than reasonable ...

I was interested in the comment that it was a US product. I grabbed my belt and on the package it says "Made in E.E.C." which simply means EUROPEAN ECONOMIC COMMUNITY.

I looked to see where Jason Industrial had locations and found, Manufacturing plants are located in Mathi (Italy), St.Jean de Maurienne (France), Ulm (Germany), Milan (Italy), Barcelona (Spain) and Charlotte, NC (USA).