Wine box

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I built this for the daughter of a close friend as a wedding gift. I'm not sure of the wood, I think it is mahogany. It came from the attic of the brides grandfather in Canada where it had sat for many decades. All the pieces were only 3" wide so everything was a glue up.

Thanks to our member and friend Pete Simmons for doing a great job on the laser engraving.
je2apuje.jpg
3yby7yra.jpg
y2anezyn.jpg

Last edited:
Rennie - Beautiful work. I have engraved a number of wine boxes. None as nice as this.

Note the apparent voids in the engraving are the different grain in the wood.

Like always, when someone sends me something like this I am very nervous when I hit the laser go button.

As this was engraving, I sat there watching and hoping the last line of text would not bleed over onto the slight radius at the bottom edge.

I erase very poorly.

Looks great Rennie. Kudos on the box, the source wood and Pete's engraving [just perfect for that piece]. I figure the two locks are because its really gooood wine ;-) Just kidding, I like the two keys/bride and groom inference.

Did some research on it and looks like there's a 'thing' where the bride and groom are supposed to write letters to each other about why they love each other and want to get married.

They are then supposed to put the letters, and a nice bottle of wine in the box. When they have their first fight, they're supposed to take a timeout, open the box, drink the wine and read the letters to remind them of why they are getting married.

I just hope they don't put a small pistol in there for the second fight...

Did some research on it and looks like there's a 'thing' where the bride and groom are supposed to write letters to each other about why they love each other and want to get married.

They are then supposed to put the letters, and a nice bottle of wine in the box. When they have their first fight, they're supposed to take a timeout, open the box, drink the wine and read the letters to remind them of why they are getting married.

I just hope they don't put a small pistol in there for the second fight...

Not far off the mark. In this case the bride and groom will be making strips of paper available on which attendees will write notes and place them in the box. This will be in place of the normal guest book. The box will be closed after the service and reopened on their first anniversary. Each anniversary they will open the box, drink the wine, read the notes, add a few new ones of their own, put in a new bottle of wine, and close it up for another year.

Keen observers would have also noted the date on the box. This couple had a small close family wedding in March. Today they are having a ring ceremony to which many are invited and there will be a large reception.