The bar is open

Chuck Ellis

We have another market coming up this weekend... I had run out of wine glasses to show, so got busy this week and made a few new sets...
40-1898_02.jpg
The first one is a single glass... I like to make them at least in pairs, but I pick up a lot of my glasses at the local habitat or goodwill store and this set of blue glasses was an odd number... so I set it on some scrap blue and white spectraply I had laying around. The glass is about 9 1/2" tall and finished with polyurethane.
40-1899_1.jpg
This set is the other two of the blue glasses... set on Spectraply's "Caribbean Wave" pattern.. the glasses are 8 3/4" tall and fiished with polyurethane.
40-1902_5.jpg
The second set is a set of 8 balloon red wine glasses... they usually sell really well and quickly... the stem is from a board I have on hand called sucupira by the wood importer... these are 9 inches tall and finished with Dr. Woodshop's wood finish... walnut oil and carnuba.
40-1900_0.jpg
The spotted champagne flutes threw me for a bit... when I picked them up I thought they were the same set of glasses, but one turns out to be blue and the other a greenish color... I'll sell them as his & hers toasting glasses... wedding glasses .... they're 10 1/2 inches tall, on Spectraply "Caribbean Wave" pattern... blue, natural and turquoise... finished in polyurethane.
40-1901_0.jpg
The smaller champagne flutes with the yellowheart and pau santos stems are 8 1/2 inches tall and also finished in polyurethane.
40-1903_4.jpg
The next champagne flutes are on ambrosia maple stems, 9 3/4 inches tall and finished with Dr. Woodshop wood finish ... not so happy with the finish on these as the maple assorbed the oil too much and didn't shine as much as I wanted... I've buffed with carnuba on top of the finish so their better, but not what I would like.
40-1904_2.jpg
The last is a set on cocobolo stems... the glasses are 8" tall and finished with the Dr. Woodshop wood finish.

Attachments

• 40-1899_0.jpg
    40-1899_0.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 36
Good stuff Chuck! I like the color mix on the first set of spectra ply one with the blue glass quite a bit, goes really well. The cocobolo ones are also 100% winners great wood and nice shape!

Great job, had not thought of using spectraply for wine glasses. Am definitely going to have to give that a try. Have a nice piece of mesquite set aside for a set right now.

Hi Mack,
That's exactly what I'm doing... I'm recycling glasses from the local Habitat and/or Goodwill stores, taking a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel and cutting the stems about 3/4" to 1" from the bulb and then inserting them into the turned stems.

Glad to see you're getting some good productive shop time, Chuck. :thumb: Wishing you the best of success at the market this weekend.