• Total voters

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
You tell me?

Its that time of year again.

2 Peaches chopped
2 medium Tomatoes chopped
1/2 Onion diced
2 spicy peppers minced (Habanero, Serrano or jalapeno in descending heat)
1 bell diced
1 tbsp medium chili powder
1-2 tbsp hot sauce (I like one of the not so vinegary ones for this - Cholula or Valentino or similar)
Juice of two limes
good dash of kosher salt

mix and let set for 2-3 hours or until you can't stand it anymore and enjoy.

Hey, Padnah! That don't look like much of a "salsa poll" to me. It don't got good ol' Pace Picante on it!!!

(Sorry, but this old Texan has to have his Pace Picante. I won't even try to make my own!)

:eek:

How can it be any of the choices offered without NM green chile? Habaneros? Serranos? Jalapenos? That's just all burn and no flavor, lol. :D

I will give you props for not putting cilantro in it, though. :clap:

Hatch is the most famous, but there are other towns/areas that produce good chile. Chimayo has the best (IMO) red chile, and a number of other places have good stuff in both red and green colors. :thumb:
:

How can it be any of the choices offered without NM green chile? Habaneros? Serranos? Jalapenos? That's just all burn and no flavor, lol. :D

I dunno a good Habanero has a lot of flavor. Maybe you just can't handle the buuurnnnn :p Works really well for some flavor combos anyway in my opinion, right pepper for the mix.

For "normal" salsa I'm with you a good chile has a whole lot of punch. I would argue that a decent dried ancho based powder is also a useful additive for getting that "depth" as well. Equal opportunity for all peppers :D

I'm also with you on location not being the end all for peppers - the key to getting a good hot chile pepper is making them suffer, no water for to long, maybe a bit much on the flip side, and not to good of soil (a bit alkali and some sulfur). I've grown good ones in BC (yes really! it was a hot spot), WA (ditto) and AZ. They all have a different terroir of course but that's part of the beauty of it all :D

Don: its actually not really all that sweet, I think you'd be surprised.

Well, this brings up some bad memories. Last tuesday I had dinner with my parents and they brought me a small rubbermaid tub of peaches they just picked from on of my sister's trees. I went to eat some on Saturday and open the container to find every single one of them was covered in mold. :doh: Guess it's not a good idea to store them in plastic. :dunno:

I'm going against the grain (hardly ever been the case before :rolleyes:) but this or mango salsa would be great on fish...scallops...even smoked turkey I'd bet. Given Vaughn's proximity to Reno...I'll add chilantro ;)