another cutting board production run

Dan Noren

Staff member
while waiting on the chair leg, i decided that i should see how many cutting boards i could get out of my recent score. i have a plan for the boards, edge grain, 2" wide walnut, 1" wide hard maple, and 1" wide santos mahogany, glued up, recut, every other one flipped, and reglued. should be interesting. i have them cut to a little over 24", and ready to be resawn and run through the planer. i managed to get 8 boards worth of maple and santos.

Attachments

• 001 maple and santos mahogany rough cut.jpg
    001 maple and santos mahogany rough cut.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 70
got all of the walnut cut to length and ripped to width. tomorrow is the planing to thickness for all, and ripping to width for the maple and santos.

Attachments

• 002 all boards together.jpg
    002 all boards together.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 24
one last time through the planer for thickness, then off to the saw to be ripped to width. then i set up one to see what the blank will look like. tomorrow it will be checking out how my sled has fared, and glueing up the blanks.

Attachments

• 004 all parts ripped to width.jpg
    004 all parts ripped to width.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 26
  • 005 parts laid out for glue up.jpg
    005 parts laid out for glue up.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 35
got the first three board blanks glued up, with hopefully the rest tomorrow. repaired my table saw sled, so i will be ready to cut when all the blanks are ready.

Attachments

• 006 first board blank glued up.jpg
    006 first board blank glued up.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 31
I have some leftover strips from last year's effort, which I am soon going to turn into a cutting board. I have my own way of getting the strips all the same thickness without a planer - I take planks and rip 1" strips from them, and turn them on edge to make up the board. It works. Yours is looking very good! :thumb:

been busy with the gluing up of the boards. got six done, the seventh in the clamps, and the last one just waiting it's turn. then it will be a quick pass through the planer to level them out. after that, with the sled repaired it will be quick work to cut and glue up all of the strips.

Attachments

• 009 last one waiting.jpg
    009 last one waiting.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 008 next to the last in clamps.jpg
    008 next to the last in clamps.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 007 first six blanks ready.jpg
    007 first six blanks ready.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 22
got a bit more done today. planed all of the blanks smooth, and set up the sled to start cutting the strips. got all of the strips cut and started gluing them up for end grain. one is set, with the second in the clamps. i may go back tonight and put a third in clamps.

Attachments

• 015 second one in clamps.jpg
    015 second one in clamps.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 014 other seven blanks cut.jpg
    014 other seven blanks cut.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 013 first one in the clamps.jpg
    013 first one in the clamps.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 012 checking the pattern.jpg
    012 checking the pattern.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 48
  • 011 first one cut.jpg
    011 first one cut.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 010 all planed and ready to be cut.jpg
    010 all planed and ready to be cut.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 39
thanks ted! put the process into practice today. did go back last night and glued up the third board last night. today i glued up boards 4, 5, and 6 today, before running a little shy on glue.

Attachments

• 016 board 4 in clamps.jpg
    016 board 4 in clamps.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 017 board 5 in clamps.jpg
    017 board 5 in clamps.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 018 board 6 in clamps.jpg
    018 board 6 in clamps.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 27
scraped the dried drippings from the first six, and got the last two glued up. now i just have to take them to the cabinetmaker to run through his big belt sander in a couple of weeks (my next pay day).

Attachments

• board 7 in clamps.jpg
    board 7 in clamps.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 020 last board in clamps.jpg
    020 last board in clamps.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 19
took them in yesterday to be flattened, expecting to get them back on monday. but, as luck would have it, 20 minutes and $35 later (works out to a little over $4 per board), they were all done. the sander they ran them through goes through 3 grits, 80, 100, 150, so i just have to do a bit of light finish sanding to get them to the smoothness i prefer. as one of them was intended to be a gift to one of pop's neighbors (for putting up with all of the noise from planing and such), that one got done first. sanded to 220, edges rounded off, and hit with the mineral oil. the colors turned out even better than i expected, and she was quite happy with her new board.

Attachments

• 021 first board final sanded and rounded over.jpg
    021 first board final sanded and rounded over.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 022 first board oiled.jpg
    022 first board oiled.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 27
closer to finishing them! made a last minute design change, instead of straight sides, i decided to go with arcs instead. got those cut and sanded, then rounded off the edges. just have to fill a couple of small gaps that snuck in, then some remedial sanding, oiling, and they are done!

Attachments

• 023 arcs marked.jpg
    023 arcs marked.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 024 arcs cut.jpg
    024 arcs cut.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 025 arcs sanded.jpg
    025 arcs sanded.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 026 edges rounded over.jpg
    026 edges rounded over.jpg