Dovetail/Box Joint question

Ninh Shepherd

I've done as much searching as I can and have yet to find a visual answer.

I would like to know of it is possible to make a three sided joint a box joint or dovetail.!?

Like (side)+(side)+(top) and have that type of joint on all three sides where it meets at the corner.

This may be a dumb question. But I feel as if it's possible but I can't visually picture it in my head!!!

Thanks in advance
~Ninja~

Yeah, should be possible, at least for box joints, dovetail will require a little more geometry. Just picture a homemade box joint jig where the fence sets at an angle rather than 90* to the table (maybe more than one depending on the angles on your box). The fingers would probably need to be cut extra long.

I don't know if this is what you're envisioning, but I came up with this during my lunch break today. I didn't do a complete box, but the dimensions could be chosen to make all four corners like the one you see here.

zTest_Box_FWW_20140812.jpg

Silly me! Three 'sides' suggested a triangular box and my mind couldn't get there!

Likewise with me, Carol. After about the third time I read Ninh's post, I read it as written: side+side+top. Now, I'm assuming he meant it more along the line of what I drew out. If not, well....back to the drawing board!

YESSSSS!!!!!!! That's it!!!!!!! Thanks bill!!!!! What dimensions did you use for your Sketchup drawing .5in?
.25in?

To keep it simple for my simple mind, I used 1/2" thick boards and 1/2" box joints. It could be any number of combinations of dimensions but those made the drawing easier! :)

I couldn't figure out any other way to handle the corner of the top, but its appearance could be softened by running a roundover along all edges.