Keeping dust out of computer

Tom Baugues

I've got a desktop computer that I would like to install out in my shop. It is a small space and as you all know dust gets everywhere in a shop. Does anyone suggest adding any kind of a "filter" material to the air screen on the side of the case to help keep the dust out of it or would that just cause it to overheat. The computer wont be on all the time. Only while I'm out in the shop (which seems rare these days) so that I can have videos playing or use the internet.

Thanks

You won't be watching while you are working, so I would put some kind of a cover over it when it is not turned on. Sew up one that fits over it. I would be concerned that a filter would clog up and the PC would over heat as you stated. You would want to blow it out often also. Just my thoughts.

I had a computer in the shop when I had my CNC. Talk about dust! I put the CPU in its own box with a muffin fan and filters on the intake and exhaust side. Had no issues with that set up. More importantly, keep the key board covered when not using it. Dust will foul that thing in a heart beat. Just my experience I also draped the monitor with a cover when not in use. There are cooling vents in that thing, too..

This is probably overkill but, I actually have a "dumb" terminal (older version of one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...25007&ef_id=UoeyogAAAaVX8REl:20140813025558:s) in my shop that remotes to the main computer in my office. The terminal allows me to surf the internet and listen to spotify and uses the horsepower of the office computer. It doesn't have any real openings in it so dust isn't much of a problem, but like others have mentioned, the keyboard and monitor get pretty gunked up, so keep them put away when not in use. As a matter of fact, my monitor has quit and need to repair or replace it.

I wrote software for a muffler shop (some years ago). For the keyboard, back in those days you could buy a "keyboard condom" which was shaped to the keys and covered the keyboard. They were expensive and didn't last long. The guys in the shops found that a loose layer of Saran Wrap over the keyboard worked just as well.

Nice thread.

I will be creating something in the near future.

I have :

1) My workbench (workdesk) computer - for general purpose stuff
2) Control software computer driving the CNC machine
3) The control box with axis drives for the CNC machine.

I am building a cabinet now - that will eventually become my CNC machine cabinet.
It will first serve as a temporary kitchen cabinet as I remodel.

I am thinking of some sort of sealed box for the machine axis control box to have an air inlet and air exhaust with a fan to circulate the air and a furnace filter that I can change on occasion. I can either have a negative pressure or a positive pressure inside the sealed box. Right now - I am about 55% on the positive pressure and 45% on negative pressure. Not real sure which it will be. I may build it so I can change after I try it.

For the CNC computer - I have a GREAT idea based on a Mazak Machining center we bought recently. The computer and monitor are in a sealed cabinet with the keyboard on a pull out tray that retracts into a sealed compartment with a sealing door when not in use. I use a shuttle pro device that seems to not mind the dust. I will make the computer / monitor cabinet on a hinged bracket so I can turn it to be able to see it in use. That box will also be a positive pressure with furnace filters.

Based on machines in the industrial shop - the CNC machine cabinet will have a control console with "E"-stop, on/off switch, lights switches and all the goodies.

For my workbench (workdesk) shop computer - same sort of setup.

To date I have none of the computers protected.

My desk computer in the house never see the workshop dust.

I'm still using a CRT monitor :eek: on this computer so I'm also looking to replace it with a LCD flat panel and mount it to a wall. Will I have problems with a LCD out in a cold building? In the coldest part of the winter I do not always keep the heat on so it may go 2-3 months at below freezing out there. There is a "surplus" salvage building here in town that sells off old office equipment from Purdue University. They have tons and tons of old computer stuff for next to nothing. I was out there today and saw probably 200 or more keyboards for $5.00 each so I'm not going to worry too much about protecting my keyboard. At that price....just get another if it should quit. Flat panel monitors are only $20. as well so if one only would last a few years I can just replace it without too much expense.
However...will a LCD FREEZE?????

Here's what I have in a corner of my shop. I didn't get it in the cropped photos, but there's a shelf above the CPU. The CPU shelf helps cover the back of the 22" LED monitor. Keyboard and mouse are on a pull-out, so they're protected by the cabinet or my hands. Maybe once a year, I open the CPU and blow the dust out of it, but it's never very bad. And, no, my shop is NOT squeaky clean!

Computer.jpg

Yep, that's a bit of hydrating liquid sitting there. After all, it IS that time of day!!!
(btw...that's not my favorite barley pop by a long shot but LOML said it was on sale this week!)

Last edited:
However...will a LCD FREEZE?????

Quite possibly yes. Knowing specifically would require looking up the capabilities of the specific LCD you're looking at because they have different range. Many support operating temperatures down to 0F, but some only down to 40F and the safe storage range varies as well (somewhere between 0F and -20F appears common as the lower end). Also if its stored outside its safe operating temperature range its also recommended to give it some time (like 24h or so) to warm up before turning it on.

Since you're looking at used I'd probably either take along the smart phone to lookup the specs on site or go over once to take some notes (since likely they're mostly a couple of models if its like most surplus places at any given time) and lookup the manuals back at the house.

You could make a cabinet with doors that open/close around the screen and leave something on in there to keep it warm, like a light bulb, while
you're not using it. I suspect that when its running most of the time it would keep itself mostly warm enough.. probably ... maybe :D

I mostly just use a tablet (roughly the equivalent of the ~$150 older nexus 7) in the shop - it doesn't take much space, works well enough for checking email/looking stuff up, and plays my tunes just fine. If you wanted to use sketchup or similar though its kind of a bust imho.