Quick Build Thread of an Inlay

Roy Millsaps

Here is a Wood In Wood Inlay in a Island Top I made from Mackore an Sycamore. The client wanted a Inlay of one of my Eagles, an I was just making one for another project.
Good client so moved it to the Island Top

First made sure top is nice an flat an mark out the area for the inlay I used a pencil an exco blade to do the outline

1.jpg

Next I set the depth an started removing a lot of the material with a router an down spiral bit 1/4 inch so little chip out

2.jpg

it took 2 days of removing material an using chisels to for the sharp edges

3.jpg

Keep your area clean an getting ready to fit up most of the inlay

4.jpg

Here is the first fit-up

5.jpg

As you can see there is no eyes an face of fish but its coming

Next sand down to level an started the face of the fish an did the eyes also Used Mother of Pearl for all eyes

I put one coat of poly on to pop the grain

6.jpg

All done ready to go to clients home to be mounted on cabinets, took 6 coats of poly to get this right an had to hand buff it with wax

2012-01-05 14.51.28.jpg

Each way you see this an taking pictures it changes as if it wants out

I noticed at first you leave the bird above the tabletop, then sand him down level.

Would you do the same sand down if the table had a veneer top, or would you keep removing substrate with the router until the the two were level?

Also, what is a good thickness to work with when making the individual bird peices?

Most of my Inlays depend on what there going into, if it is a hard wood Like the Makore I like 1/2 or thicker if I'm going into a softwood like Cedar I do my inlays 3/16 to 3/8 now going into a veneer I like to go between 1/8 to 1/4. When Inlaying on Veneer I like to be just a little bit proud where I only need 320 grit to bring it level by hand. As you can see I like using MOP also specially for eyes or other parts , most of my MOP is 60 thousands thick. The biggest thing also you need to look at is what glues you are using I like CA so I can stabilize the wood also. now in this thread I am building now is an Inlay but using the cube effect an trying to make a flower, the material is 3/16 " its going into Cedar, but its only one of the twist to that build, yes I'm working at least 2 days ahead of the posting. What you don't see is there is a second one getting worked on also its the prototype in which will be auctioned off for the Shiners Hospital if its good enough, if its not it get burned. Most of my projects I work on there is a prototype somewhere or it ashes, due I'm still learning also.

Here is the thread of the Blanket Chest

http://familywoodworking.org/forums...-Client-an-its-got-a-couple-Nice-twists-to-it

Very cool Roy. It is a joy to watch someone who has developed such fine skills. You make is look easy (which we know it is certainly not) and the results are just beautiful.