Question time for everyone

An inlay could be any material embedded into the surface and flush with that surface.
Marquetry is the use of different pieces and colors of usually wood to complete a design or pattern, embedded in and flush to the surface.
Intarsia is more three dimensional in that the individual pieces can be different thicknesses, even carved or colored, rendering a design not flush to the surface or even to the pieces around teh pieces, if you know what I mean.

But then I cheated. I was a woodworking instructor for years.

That said, there is some overlap, especially in the use of the inlay and marquetry terms.

Definitionally..
Inlay is embedding an object into another object.
Marquetry is decorative veneer laid on top of a substrate.

Intarsia on the other hand.. Not really sure that the defining feature of "intarsia" is versus inlay (or indeed even some types of marquetry)? Intarsia is from thicker pieces? Contoured? :huh:

Interestingly I recently found out that there is an "Intarsia" knitting technique when LOML was talking about doing something with it which overlaps significantly with the woodworking technique http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intarsia_(knitting) Makes me wonder what the actual origin of the term was.. (annd... according to wikipedia "It is thought that the word 'intarsia' is derived from the Latin word 'interserere' which means "to insert"." Interesting, so it seems likely to have originated as a subset of inlay then?)

You all are on the right track, they all use different techniques to make so Roger was close, Marquetry is also an Inlay when you look at how the piece is embedded in the substructure, where Intarsia is on the surface of a substructure but do all these use the same tools to make ??

On the Inlaying, I would use a 90 degree "V" grooving bit. There are some really neat ways to do inlaying on a CNC machine.

On the marquetry I would use a surgically sharp knife, as I would not want to do that on a CNC Router

On the Intarsia I might use a 1/8 bit or a 1/16 bit depending on the inside radius cuts. I might end up trimming with a file or knife. I would also be sanding with fine grit paper.

I don't believe those are the correct answers if one was doing the work in a conventional way, but my head does not always think conventionally.

Sorry - I am NOT - trying to undermine - but this is how I would do it.

Conventionally - Inlay can be done with a router, of with hand tools like a chisel - trace the male member then create the female pocket to fit

Marquetry - similar - but with a really sharp knife.

I believe Intarsia would be on a scroll saw - and a lot of sine sandpaper.

I believe there are 50 ways to leave your lover - or to skin a cat.

I am not a skilled craftsman at any of the above - just my thoughts on the subject.

Roy - your work is spectacular, and I would LOVE to know more - but this sounds like a high school class. I know you don't mean it to sound like that - but it does.

Please don't be offended at my comments - I don't score very high on diplomacy.

I think what works really well on a forum like this is a progress tutorial. You start the process with a brief explanation - a couple of digital pictures at the start - then post you progress explaining what you are doing. That gives us a chance to SEE what you are doing then ask questions or make comments.

Leo you are right it depends on the use of each I have done all 3 an its just asking the question as not a test but a general question there is no wrong answer here everyone does it differently so do Intarsia can also do an Inlay but just didn't know just you are not contouring the project

Alrighty let me form my response in the form of a contrived question/example which illustrates the edges of my confusion on the definitional details. I'll state that I definitely do not know the answer to this (or even if there is a definite answer).

Let's say I have a solid wood chest.
I cut a square recess in the lid leaving a narrow ridge around the outside.
I take and make a stack of different veneers (shop cut and fairly thick) for the different colors/woods.
I cut the packet on a large foot powered "scroll saw" (fixed flat table reciprocating blade)
I texture the edges of the pieces to enhance the delineation between the pieces.
And assemble and glue down into the chests top.
Looking at it I decide I don't like the texture and plane/sand the work back flat.

Is this inlay? Arguably yes.
Marquetry? Maybe? possibly?
Intarsia? No idea but if not why not?
What if I hadn't cut the large recess in the top?
What if I then inlaid banding between the main piece and the edge?
What if I cut the same wood and assembled it in the same way but cut it with a knife? A Chevalier? A hand held turning saw?

Last edited:
Alrighty let me form my response in the form of a contrived question/example which illustrates the edges of my confusion on the definitional details. I'll state that I definitely do not know the answer to this (or even if there is a definite answer). ...

Your comment and the rest of your post point to the issue with processes like these and any others in a wood shop and, by extension, to life in general. Anytime someone ways, "THIS is the ONLY way to do this", I just shake my head.