Beerology test

10, but I should probably recuse myself on account of excessive geekiness when it comes to beer.

It would be interesting to know what questions most folks missed.. I wonder if it's generally the same or regional.

9 out of 10, but I should have guessed that the Steinwhatever beer was made with stones, as stein means stone, but it just didn't make sense. I've never heard of raspberry beer, either, but 'framboise' is french for 'raspberry' as every schoolboy knows.

10, but I should probably recuse myself on account of excessive geekiness when it comes to beer.

It would be interesting to know what questions most folks missed.. I wonder if it's generally the same or regional.

10 of 10, but I was just in the reading room reading the latest copy of 'Brew your Own' Magazine.

The only one I had to think about for a second was the belgian rasberry question.

9 out of 10, but I should have guessed that the Steinwhatever beer was made with stones, as stein means stone, but it just didn't make sense.

It's actually kind of an interesting ancient brewing technique. To brew beer you have to the grain up fairly warm (150f or thereabouts) in order for the sugar magic to happen and then the syrup to infuse the herbs (hops today but other bitter herbs where used when this technique was common). When you don't have large metal pots folks would make beer in hollowed logs or clay pots or hides or wicker baskets.. In order to hear the beer in these vessels you can't put fire under them so instead they would heart up rocks and take them back and forth from the fire to the beer. This would infuse a smoky flavor and also caramelize some of the sugars.

Modern interpretations mostly use pre caramelized malt or sugar and smoked malt for a similar profile.

There's a variant made in a log and filtered through spruce bows that I've wanted to try for a long time.