New toy I didn't even know I wanted...

Tom Niemi

Staff member
My bud came by last week and handed me a box and said this is available if I was interested, inside is a craftsman combination plane, great shape, original blades and holder, orig owner make a nice box to hold the blades, nice piece. Well I didn't know if I really wanted it as I did not think I would use it and I really don't consider myself as a collector of planes. Well just for kicks, I went to the shop, chose a blade and put a real quick sharpening on it, set it up and attacked a piece of oak.....well I am hooked, this plane is just KOOL:) So thanks Larry, the check is in the mail:) Last pic is, I guess verification I am hooked:p
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

New member here but I'll chime in too. I also picked up a Stanley 45 off the auction site at a fairly decent price and it seems complete. It's a later model with rosewood handle and knob and came with all the cutters, most of which seem to have the original factory rust inhibitor still on them. It's a pretty intriguing tool but one that seems to require a bit of fussing to get it working properly. I'll probably build a storage box for it with the appropriate grooves.

New member here but I'll chime in too. I also picked up a Stanley 45 off the auction site at a fairly decent price and it seems complete. It's a later model with rosewood handle and knob and came with all the cutters, most of which seem to have the original factory rust inhibitor still on them. It's a pretty intriguing tool but one that seems to require a bit of fussing to get it working properly. I'll probably build a storage box for it with the appropriate grooves.

The 45 is my go to plow plane. I use it on almost every project that I build. It is definitely worth the effort to get it tuned and then use it!

Hey, welcome Charles:wave: Yes the more my hands get ahold of planes the more I like them. I have already re-planed a few jobs replacing the router table with the combination plane:)

That is definitively a keeper Tom, although sometimes judging from your words those gifts are loaded by evil, it is similar to a drug dealer offering a free dose so that you get hooked and keep wanting more and more ;);) although you were hooked already so Larry is not to blame. LOL.
PS Larry: No offence intended

That is definitively a keeper Tom, although sometimes judging from your words those gifts are loaded by evil, it is similar to a drug dealer offering a free dose so that you get hooked and keep wanting more and more ;);) although you were hooked already so Larry is not to blame. LOL.
PS Larry: No offence intended

no offense taken toni,, i got him started in the begging i think so i can handle this grief of his affliction:)