Nostepinne (wool winder)

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
This might look like idle noodling with the skew (and you wouldn't be entirely wrong :D) but its also a highly sophisticated yarn winding machine. I made about 40 of these for a few of the spinning wheel classes loml was taking to hand out as extra swag.

Litterally translated as "nest stick" which makes sense when you see it in use. Used for winding small amounts of yarn off of a spindle or spinning wheel.

Some basic explanation of the use can be found here: http://www.woolery.com/Store/pc/Using-a-Nostepinne-d38.htm

There are a few key elements of the design here.

1. There are grooves at the tip and between the handle and the body of the tool. These are used to capture the ends of the yarn its being wound and they need to be deep enough and narrow enough to capture most sizes or yarn (narrow helps a lot). There are some techniques that use the groove on either end for different things so generally most spinners would want a noste with it in bloth places.
  2. The main body needs to evenly taper from the handle to the tip so the yarn can easily slide off, getting this wrong means it doesn't work.
  3. The size needs to be approximately right. You can make them a bit bigger or smaller than the one I have here, but this is a pretty good all around size that works for most any yarn.
  4. The handle should be comfortable to hold when in use (don't have that quite down yet)

Past that you can make them as fancy or as plain as you'd want so they're a nice noodling with the skew exercise if you know any hand spinners I'm sure they'd love one :D

IMG_20140824_105722.jpg

And in use - you'll note that my winding technique is not nearly as advanced as the one on the above woolery link :rolleyes:
IMG_20140824_105917.jpg